1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hammer ons; Pull offs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Ketch27, May 24, 2001.

1. Ketch27

Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    IL
    Ok. Somebody help me with these. I don't really know how to do them...

2. Hammer-on:

Playing D then E (5th and seventh fret on the A string). Pluck the D as normal, then using another finger, push down on the E, but don't pluck again.

Pull-off:

Basically the reverse of a hammer-on. Start with both fingers on their notes (D and E, in this example), pluck the E, then pull the finger fretting the E off the sting, leaving the finger fretting the D, sounding the note without plucking it.

I have (perhaps incorrectly) assumed you are playing on a fretted bass. Same applies for a fretless, except then you would have to say "stop" instead of "fret" :D

I hope I've helped.

FF

3. What FF said but I think he said C when he was going to say E, either that or I am very confused.

To restate the pull off have your fingers on the E and the D, on the A string pluck the E then release it sounding the D.

4. Thanks gruff. Man, I must be getting tired. It's late here, I am trying to finish off some freelance work, and waiting for the client to email me. I posted the response, and man, did I ever blow it.

I think its all better now.

I hope.

FF

5. No prob FF, GP knows tired.

6. Ketch27

Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    IL
    Thanks guys. I thought it was something like that.