Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hammer ons; Pull offs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Ketch27, May 24, 2001.

1. Ketch27

Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    IL
    Ok. Somebody help me with these. I don't really know how to do them...

2. Hammer-on:

Playing D then E (5th and seventh fret on the A string). Pluck the D as normal, then using another finger, push down on the E, but don't pluck again.

Pull-off:

Basically the reverse of a hammer-on. Start with both fingers on their notes (D and E, in this example), pluck the E, then pull the finger fretting the E off the sting, leaving the finger fretting the D, sounding the note without plucking it.

I have (perhaps incorrectly) assumed you are playing on a fretted bass. Same applies for a fretless, except then you would have to say "stop" instead of "fret" :D

I hope I've helped.

FF

3. What FF said but I think he said C when he was going to say E, either that or I am very confused.

To restate the pull off have your fingers on the E and the D, on the A string pluck the E then release it sounding the D.

4. Thanks gruff. Man, I must be getting tired. It's late here, I am trying to finish off some freelance work, and waiting for the client to email me. I posted the response, and man, did I ever blow it.

I think its all better now.

I hope.

FF

5. No prob FF, GP knows tired.

6. Ketch27

Ketch27

May 4, 2001
    IL
    Thanks guys. I thought it was something like that.