Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hammering, how do they do it so well?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by crazyphil, Aug 28, 2002.

1. How do artists hammer on without the initial sound of the string hitting the metal fret? Is it EQ'd out?

Also when sliding from a low note to a high note on the same string, how do they do it so you don't hear the string hitting the fret?

Odd questions, I know. Just wondering.

2. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    practice, practice, practice!

when i first started, i always got a metal clank every time... but after a while you develop the proper touch and the clank goes away

also, the closer to the fret that you hammer, the less chance of noise because the second your finger holds the note down, the clink will be silenced... as for EQ, cutting the highs a little will reduce fret noise, but proper technique helps the most

3. Ok, but how do I slide from, for example, the first fret on the A string to the 8th fret without buzzing at all? Seems impossible

4. Hmmm...
    Is the action on your bass super high or super low?
    Are you sliding with much force?

Uuuh...
    There's not much else I can think of right now, but it seems that the initial stages of college education have dulled my mind.
    :p

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Turn down the trebble.

Simple as that.

Oh and, its better to fret a note right behind or on the fret. Besides less noise from hitting the fret, you lessen the risk of bending the string iver the fret and pulling it slightly out of tune. It keeps your tone more consistent, and helps if you ever switch to fretless.

Peace
    Nick

6. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    uhh, not exactly... like i said, turning down the treble helps mask it, but if you have the proper touch fret clink shouldn't be very noticeable in the first place

and if a long slide is done fast enough you won't hear it either because you're moving over each fret too fast to hear the noise... if you're doing a slow slide, then you will get it

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The rest of my post goes on to describe how Ive been able to correct this issue through good technique, basically the way you described.

If the sound of the fret and string comming together is so noticeable that it is a problem, I would guess that he has his highs turned up pretty high.

Peace
    Nick

8. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    oh right, that :)

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    • good bass setup