Hammering Technique; Help ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by OysterBoy, Aug 25, 2005.

1. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Up until recently, I didn't think the hammer-on technique was all that complicated; I had the ability to hammer on / out any lines I've learned, in all but one song. In specific, its the bass solo in "Green Machine" by Kyuss (I'll upload it if you like). Its mostly some speedy fingerstyle (mildly speedy), with a gap of hammer on (twice; middle of song, and end of song). Scott Reeder (Technically Nick Oliveri) just lays it out so mellow, but for the life of me, I cant get nearly as smooth.

Anyways, here's my take on the solo; you should be able to pick out the rough edges (Of which there are probably many).

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Easy fix for you. You've got the chops, but you don't have the time down. You need to work at it with a metronome at a slower speed, and concentrate on playing everything in exact time. Set it as slowly as you can play it cleanly, and work on it at that slow tempo, then set the metronome a little higher and work at it at that speed until you've got it mastered, and keep gradually speeding it up till you've got it.
  3. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    But is that all there really is to it? I realize the timing is off in the clip, I just noodled it out for reference; the actual sound of my hammering just doesnt sound right. Is it really just timing ?

Thanks for the reply ;)
  4. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    I think that maybe the lack of timing is making the hammer ons sound a bit funny. If you slow down and play with the nome the hammer ons will fall into place as you start speeding it up and parcticing it.