Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hammon Darkstar pups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hurezeanu, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Hurezeanu

Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    I've been considering to stick a Darkstar on my Gibson EBO for a while now...

I have no idea about ANY of the tonal qualities of this pickup, however I am playing thru a mesa 400+ for melodic/power metal sets (you can see how a muddy EBO would do nothing for this type of music). I love to play the EBO because of its light weight and comfortability (mine aint a neck diver!), would a Darkstar pup suit my type of rig and music?

thanks for any help!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

haven't had one yet. Expensive pup so not likely a pup to pick up to check out without some confidence is the prospect.

There are some TB'rs with them though and there have been a number of posts on them. Last one I'm aware of one of the luthiers in that forum made a tastey looking bass with a pair. A search will turn up some of the guys that have or have had them and you can email them. I'm sure they'd have info of use.

3. The Dudepit has a fair chunk of forum dedicated to them, if you can't find a reasonable assessment there, I don't think you'll find one anywhere.

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    In the two basses I've played that have had Dark Stars in them, they were both VERY loud and very clear. Dark Stars seem to have a thick, full sound across the entire frequency spectrum without losing clarity.

5. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Talking w/Nino right now about 2 of these in a chambered-body jazz.:hyper:

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Now that would be INTENSE. :bassist:

7. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    [​IMG]

Heh... couldn't let this post go by without a pic of my GeddyDS. :smug:

In the neck position, I'd have to say the DS is in the realm of a P pickup. However, it's much more responsive to technique, and has more low end (not as pronounced in the mids). It's a really cool pickup!