Hammon Darkstar wiring ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kelly robinson, May 17, 2018.

1. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    Hi -
    I recently acquired an original Hammon Darkstar [ Guild spacing version ] which came with a tubed covered 3 wire harness . The two coated wires are attached as you'd expect at the pickup body however a third bare wire is not attached to the pickup at all . In looking at other Darkstar's I have not seen any pics that show a similar bare wire or any indication of whether it should be attached somewhere to the pickup body or indeed if it even belongs there to begin with . Any info anyone can give me as to how I should deal with this bare wire would be much appreciated - hopefully you can see the bare wire heading away from the pickup to the right - many thanks, Kelly Darkstar back1.jpg

2. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    It looks like a twist of braided shielding to me. If that is what it is, I would not attach it to the pickup. I would twist a bit of the shield at the other end and solder it to a common ground for the controls.

3. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    Thanks very much - it does seem like braided shielding to me too - I just wasn't sure what to do with it . I'll give that a try - Kelly

spiritbass likes this.
  4. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    You're welcome. :) Love the DarkStars! This one was my fave:

6Nhwqhh.jpg

5. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    Hi spiritbass -
    Butch at " Bayou Cables " was kind enough to assist and seconded your suggestion exactly . I was lucky enough to grab one of his ' Bayou Cable's " Darkstar " harnesses unused from TB'er Pudge to go along with the pickup so figured he would have some helpful info too . Your bass looks very sweet - was that a push / pull setup or V / V with no tone control or what ? Kelly

6. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Thanks! It was V/V.

7. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    Gotcha - I'm only going with the single one - they are way , way too expensive now for doubling up in any bass that I own ! ! ! but I intend to combine it with another pickup type - hopefully , w/o running into troubles with the two matching up well . Butch did add that he found the " Darkstar " to be very responsive to touch - to the point that it didn't really fit his playing style - I thought that was an interesting point . I play pretty lightly though so I don't expect that to be a problem for me . I do think I owe much of that to the Cafe Walter for it's transparency ! Kelly

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021