Hammond Ashley DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Keco, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Hi!

I've found one selling Hammond Ashley year 1999. It's 3/4.
    The bass was purchased in Seattle for $3,290.00 US Dollars. It was originally made in Eastern Germany.

Could you write your reviews or experiences with Ashley DB?
    Is it worth the price? I'm playing Jazz.

2. I've done business with HA before, and it's also where I bought my first bass.

My experience has been that they tend to overprice things in their inventory, particularly on the higher end of instruments and bows. The bass I purchased from them in 1999, which was $2,000, could have been bought elsewhere for a few hundred dollars less, although the shipping charges would have broken even. On the up side, they're generally easy to haggle with and it isn't impossible to get away with a good deal. That all depends on the market and the instrument in question, of course, but at the end of the day they have to eat.

I'm not sure about negotiating a price for the cheaper instruments, such as what you're looking at. It's probably a reasonable price, so if you like the instrument then go for it. They're not liars or cheats. The bass is what they say it is, so you don't need to worry. Just ask if you can try the thing out for a week, and if you don't like it, return it to them.

While we're talking about Hammond Ashley, I'd also like to mention I had some repair work done there a number of years ago and was less than impressed with the job they did. The bass had a hole in the top side which was about two cm in diameter, and the wood they put in to patch was (a) the wrong color, (b) facing the wrong direction in relation to the grain, and (c) didn't fit. I told them I wasn't very happy with the workmanship, but there wasn't a whole lot I could do about it. If I ever have a major repair job, I'll most likely send it on down to Robertson's.