Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hammond organ / vintage keyboards

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nate Dawg, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I met a guy tonight who owns a Hammond B3 and a few Leslie speaker cabinets. I was at a party and he noticed my bass clef tattoo and we got to talking about my band. I told him that I switch off between bass and keyboards. He started telling me about his keyboard setup. Then he said, "You should come over and play my B3."

Theis really blew my mind because I live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. I didn't expect anybody around here to be able to afford a B3 w/ a Leslie.

I'm REALLY into the raspy reed organ/churchy pipe organ sound right now. I doubt that I'll even go over to his place because it was just drunk talk, but it's still pretty strange to me. Here I am with a $100 Korg synth from 1982 and he's got a Hammond.

I've been thinking about buying an old Farfisa Compact or a Vox Continental if I can find one. I really want a 60's type vibe that I can't get with my 80's sounding Korg. Flock Of Seagulls: no problem. The Doors: sorry.

So if anybody has an old [decent sounding] organ they want to get rid of, let me know.

2. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey man

Get a Hammond Xk-2

My dad used to play a B-3 and hes been trying to get one again for about 15 years, He said that the xk2 is the best thing. He can get a b-3 sound.. to a somewhat Vox tone out of it.

He also has a Leslie 900 series i think.

Im gonna learn to play some keyboard pretty soon!

3. I concur with the XK-2 remark--the keyboardist in my new band has one and it sounds huge.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my brother has a roland vk7 and i think it sounds better than the comparable hammond combo organ/keyboard. the distortion and chorus are super sick.

but if you want to get into the hammond sound for cheap, there are some soft synth hammond programs - the native instruments B4 is especially nice.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've not got any organs, but I've got a Rhodes Stage 73 :)

Not letting it go, just showing off :D

6. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    The guy I was talking to said he had a "few" Rhodes stage pianos. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll look into those other options.

7. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Haven't been here in a while.

I wouldn't buy any electronic keyboards if you're looking for the original mechanical tonewheel Hammond sound, not even the Hammond. A low budget alternative is to pick up a Hammond M3 (the mini B) and a 145 or 147 Leslie. M3 Hammonds can be purchased in the $100 range and have the same tone generator setup as a B. I have an M3 and 147 Leslie I'm selling for $500 as an example.

In bands I have worked in, we have customized B's and M3's and put them into portable cases. If you would do that, make sure you keep the organ flat during transport or the oil runs out of the generators.

Hammond is releasing the "new" B3 that looks like an original, but is electronic and weighs in at about half of an original B. Jazz organist Joey De francisco has something to do with launching the new B.

8. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Oooh. That sounds interesting. I'll look into that.

Thanks.