Hammy Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    my daion kicks butt. no really it does. but i have a few pet peeves with this little girl. #1 under no amount of neck tweaking and sadle adjustments can i get the thing to stop buzzing on the 5th fret. 4th no buzz. 6th no buzz. 5th buzz city. also i am gonna attatch a picture. the jazz pick up is so close to the bridge the tone is almost useless. i never solo it and only use it in addition to the p pick up. the p pick up sounds more like a vintage p bass than a vintage p bass. so no complaints there! ( alembic playability with the sound of a pre cbs p bass!) anyway is there anything i can do to get some use out of the j position? i though about a bart but that would look strange with the open pole peice p pick up. i thought about a basslines but thought that it might just amplify the tinny sound back there. any help is greatly appreciated. also if it helps it has a brass not and strings through the body with a brass bridge.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I can think of at least a couple different things that might cause buzz at the only 5th fret.

The first being a high fret. If that is the case, a fret file can knock it down quick enough. You should also check to make sure the fret is seated snugly against the finer board. They can work loose with wood shrinkage and expansion due to changes in humidity.

But I would guess that it more likely a relief issue.

We'd all like to think that necks curve under stress in a nice smooth, even bow. But they all don't. the weakest part of the neck is going to bend the most and different necks react differently. My LB75, for example, would be as straight as an arrow from the body to about the 5th fret then all the relief bow would happen right there.

Hold the bass flat and sight down the neck. You may see the neck dive off slightly (back bow) around the 5th fret. You probably need a tad more relief in the neck (loosen the truss rod).

Typically, if the strings are buzzing on the nut end, you need more relief. Buzzing on the bridge end means too much.

I would at least examine this very closely before I started filing frets.

3. As far as the fret issues, Chas has covered the bases pretty well. What I can add is that you can check if it is a high fret by using a short steel rule across 3 or 4 frets at a time. If your's IS high, the rule will teeter across that fret and you've got your problem located. Definitely do this before bringing out the hammers and files!! :D

As to the pup placement issue - it is really going to boil down to whether you are willing to go with a change of hardware and the alteration to the body it might require. I am really sympathetic to your position. As you know, my Kawai is a similiar animal to your Daion and has a very similiar problem with it's front pup. Altering our babies would have to be profoundly justified before we would give it the go ahead. With that in mind, what about installing one of the MM style pups that are available from different sources. A wider pup with dual large diameter pole pieces would have the effect of moving the pup out from the bridge. What would make this work is that you would rout only the cavity needed covering the old Jazz pup route. With no trace left of the old cavity, it would appear that the pup was original. I think that this would solve your balance and tone problem. It's a big step, I know.

You've got mail by the way!
  4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    what about a quad coil? some mini switches for options? also do i need to install a pre amp with the barts or could i keep runnin my sadowsky? alos isnt the quad coil a smaller foot print than a mm style?
    would just hate to cover up so much of the wood and doesnt puttin the pickups close together screw with the phase?

remeber you the man though!

also anothr reason to ot go with the mm style is i already have that base covered! would prefer somethin different back there!lol
  5. If this gets any deeper into pickups, I'm gonna send it over there cuz we are gettin' just about down to the bottom of my knowledge pit and we've hardly started diggin':oops:

First, by a MM pup, I didn't mean a true MM just one of the knockoffs that have the larger pole pieces. Besides, true MM's aren't available - just aftermarket high ends (SD) or copies. All we're trying to do here is get some string signal from a point further out from the bridge and not screw with the aesthetics much. The pups I'm talking about are just twice the size of a regular jazz. The new route would only take what's between the screws plus 1 more width. The mountings for the larger ones is at the ends so it's easy to inlet. If you change that back pup at all, you'll have to either fit a new one to include the hole that's there or live with an inlet that is larger than the new pickup. There's really no inbetween.

I take it that your bass is passive and you use an outboard Sadowsky? Any pickup in a decent location should work. I wouldn't worry too much that things won't sound good. They just are going to be different from what you've got now. And, since the old rig hasn't ever been right, that should be an improvement for sure!