1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hampton Hawes "For Real"

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Monte, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Damn, how did I miss this?

In a blindfold test I would NEVER guess Scott LaFaro on this. So swinging....wow, a Leroy Vinnegar style walking solo on an uptempo I Love You?!?:eek:

This record is amazing.

2. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    He was big into Leroy Vinnegar, right? Yeah, that album is great.. Harold Land is the man.

3. I downloaded this from Emusic right after I read your post on the basslist, Monte. It's fantastic!

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You got the Victor Feldman record, right?

5. tonequixote

tonequixote

Feb 6, 2004
    Maine
    If you're refering to LaFaro's playing with Victor Feldman, it should be noted that there is more than one recording.

"The Arrival of Victor Feldman" and "Latinsville" both work for me.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I wasn't hip to LATINVILLE!

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I can actually remember when and where I was when I first heard "The Arrival..." I couldn't believe that I was listening to Scotty either. Flat out great, driving bass playing.

Now I gotta check out "Latinville".

8. And the very first recording...."This is Pat Moran".
    And the one with Getz.
    Check Scott's site for discography.

9. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    It's amazing how influential LaFaro is and was, and yet, he has so (relatively) few recordings. On the website I found, he's only on 11 albums. And a few of those all seem to be from the same series of live recordings.

Compared to other bassists of that influential stature, it's quite a petite discography. Pretty impressive. I would like to hear him play in a more "straight-ahead" context, so I'll have to check out the albums you guys are talking about. Thanks.

10. You know the tune "Hip" is an eleven bar blues...[Head only].... food for thought...

11. He was on way more than 11 albums.

Here is a link to his discography from the Chuck Ralston page:

http://www.geocities.com/chuck_ralston/11slfdis.htm

There's a lot of duplication but still he was on dozens of albums. He was a seriously BUSY guy given that he only played bass for 6 years and he died at age 25. I don't think the discography is complete either. I don't see the Stan Getz disc from the Newport set that he played a couple days before he died. I have it so I know it exists.

One of the better ones is Jazz Abstractions by John Lewis. He is all over that one. So is Bill Evans for that matter.

mark

12. The "This is Pat Moran" side has John Doling (her husband at the time) listed as the bassist. Pat told me it was, in fact (obviously), a young Scott LaFaro.

13. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    That is a much more filled discography than the one I saw. I still say it's few compared to his contemporaries (of which there are few). Cool list to have, though.

14. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    yeah, this hampton hawes record is sweet! great, swinging feeling and really creative playing. thanks for the reminder!

sean