1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hamubuckers vs. P and J pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kraig99, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Hey. I am building a bass in the near future and am trying to decide on the pickups. I'm thinking of going with humbuckers, but I have never tried them before. I was wondering whether the sound is closer to that of a P bass or a J bass. Also, do they have to be active humbuckers in order to "buck the hum", or do passives do that too? (I know that may be a dumb question, but I have a guitars with humbuckers and they r still noisy!) One last question, has anybody tried the new Fender noiseless pickups? Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    A humbucker is a humbucker whether it's passive or active. The only requirement is that there are two single coils wired together in such a way that the hum is cancelled out.

A P-Bass uses one humbucking pickup. It's a split humbucker that has one single coil unit under two strings and the second coil under the other. A J-Bass has TWO single coil pickups, that, when turned all the way up to the same volume, essentially form one humbucker. So, to answer your question (kinda) a humbucker in the neck position will sound similar to a P-Bass. As for your guitar, it could hum for a number of reasons: Bad grounding, the amp, cables, etc.

Unfortunatly, I haven't had a chance to try the noiseless pickups by Fender. Good luck on your bass!

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin