Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hamubuckers vs. P and J pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kraig99, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Hey. I am building a bass in the near future and am trying to decide on the pickups. I'm thinking of going with humbuckers, but I have never tried them before. I was wondering whether the sound is closer to that of a P bass or a J bass. Also, do they have to be active humbuckers in order to "buck the hum", or do passives do that too? (I know that may be a dumb question, but I have a guitars with humbuckers and they r still noisy!) One last question, has anybody tried the new Fender noiseless pickups? Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    A humbucker is a humbucker whether it's passive or active. The only requirement is that there are two single coils wired together in such a way that the hum is cancelled out.

A P-Bass uses one humbucking pickup. It's a split humbucker that has one single coil unit under two strings and the second coil under the other. A J-Bass has TWO single coil pickups, that, when turned all the way up to the same volume, essentially form one humbucker. So, to answer your question (kinda) a humbucker in the neck position will sound similar to a P-Bass. As for your guitar, it could hum for a number of reasons: Bad grounding, the amp, cables, etc.

Unfortunatly, I haven't had a chance to try the noiseless pickups by Fender. Good luck on your bass!

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin