Hand cramps. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by coater, Sep 24, 2005.

1. coater

Sep 24, 2005
    Hi. I need some help. I've been playing bass for about 9 years and I can't stand the cramps I get in my picking hand.

Does anyone know of any advice to help me get past them? I appreciate the help.
  2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    #1. This is posted in the wrong forum...*moved*

#2. Take a look at the [BG]Technique section of our forums.

#3. Try warming up and warming down when you do your scale and hand exercises.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Do you play your bass slung low or high? Did you always get cramps or have you just started to get them? How long do you usually play? Do you feel cramps when you're not playing?

A little more info would help a lot.
  4. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Not being hydrated enough can cause cramp. Poor diet maybe a factor.
  5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    very very right!!! I completely forgot about that vital element!
  6. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    During a gig, I will drink about 1-2 gal of water, particularly I'm sweating alot. seems like alot, but water also helps to keep the mind alert as well.
  7. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

1 or 2 gallons?! Bloody hell...
  8. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I get cramps too.I play mostly fingerstyle but when I play with a pick I get terrible pains in my right hand mostly in the area below the thumb(if you know what I mean) any tips??
  9. i know what you mean about the pick, i used to get that too. its cuz your thumb is angled down, and "locked" into position, kinda like how it should look when you slap. let your thumb have a little bend to it, and turn your hand clockwise just a bit so your thumb isnt down anymore, but angled a bit off to the side. youll probably have to raise up your bass a little bit to get it comfortable again. it takes some getting used to, but it feels a lot better, and it really improves your playing because you can get a more gentle touch.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yourmomsbass, it's a decent start, but there's a lot more to it than that. All you folks who get cramps in your hand when you use a pick need to go visit www.carolkaye.com and go to her tips page and learn her picking technique. I cannot say enough about how well it worked to end cramps and pains in my hand when I use a pick on bass. I never get them anymore as long as I stick rigidly to her technique. So do yourself a favor and go now!
  11. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    Stretch your hand out before playing, also.
  12. xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    im kidding just like evryone els siad strech befor you play it help alot
  13. Relax your grip on the pick. Holding it like your life depends on it is extra tension, the muscles can't produce that pressure for long times.

The same advice goes for cramps in the left hand. Only use the minimum amount of force necessary to fret the notes on the left hand, hold the pick or pluck the string on the right hand.

Economy of motion, economy of force.

Come on, man - you should know better. ~Mod

14. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Edited for content.

I just read the rules and i dont think this post breaks any of them, but if it does mods please let me know

It's not appropriate. I guess it's true what they say about common sense. ~Mod

Im completely serious about everything i just said, stop laughing