Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hand drums

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, May 13, 2002.

1. The Latin jazz presentation I did a few weeks back (I got a B+ on it! w00t!) really inspired me to start exploring pure rhythm. Since I have just about zero coordination, hand drums seem a little more likely than an actual kit.

I don't know much about this, though--what should I get? I'm thinking a set of starter bongos or maybe a pair of mini-congas might be cool. I think I want to go with Afro-Latin percussion because every dirty hippie and his brother has a djembe sitting under his bed. Any brand suggestions? I'd like to stay under $100, but I'm flexible.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have some LP mini-bongos...&, at the time, they were under $100.
    IMO, they're great for learning AWAY from your instrument(I know some say that's impossible). ;)
    The two-handed paradiddles/exercises help in slap/pop coordination, too.
    I really need to get back to this sorta "practicing"...

3. Bongos are a good way to start for not too much money. You may want to consider a djembe too. They produce a wide range of sounds and are easier on the hands than bongos to start with. Remo, LP, and Toca all have some nice "entry" level equipment. The Remo djembes are very nice and easy on the hands.

Keep in mind that on bongos there is a very defined style of playing based on the "martillo" beat. In latin music the bongos are used as a complementary/solo instrument. The main, stylistic fundementals are usually laid down and carried by the congas.

Learn the different versions (3-2 and 2-3) of the clave first.

Good luck, you'll love it!