Hand Excercises

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassplayerjojo, May 5, 2002.

1. I recently bought some of those hand grip finger exercisers, becasue I feel sometimes my fingers can't keep up to what my head is thinking when I play. Has anyone tried these out yet, and if so, did you notice a significant improvement? I would think there would be, if it is something that is kept up with. Also, does anyone know of any web sites or such focusing on hand excercise and coordnation? Thanks.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have only used them a little bit, but a guitarist friend of mine uses an extra heavy tension grip and he has a ****ing huge ass muscle at the cusp of his index and thumb now.
  3. [Butthead voice]
    huh huh....hand exercises huh huh
    [/Butthead voice]

I've never tried one myself. But I've heard they're sheeeat. The strength of your fingers doesn't really matter, dexterity if more important and that can only be achieved by practice. I don't think the hand exercises improve your dexterity by any measureable amount, in fact it might hinder it. Think of it this way, if you want to be a world class gymnist, you don't pump iron, you spend long hours stretching and flexing so your muscles are nice and loose and cand move more easily. That's why big brawny body builders aren't very flexible.

The only thing it will possibly help is your finger strength which you don't really need unless you want/like high action. In which case practicing would still be better.
  4. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    here read this site: chinese health balls . I got some just yesterday and they have helped drastically. They will not help your bass playing finger dexterity, but they WILL help you finger dexterity in general, so that when you do practice fingerboard exercises, you'll have healthy wrists and fingers to work on.

As people have mentioned in past posts, those hand exercises are just crap, unless you want a firm handshake. Practice, practice practice! it's the only way to work out what your fingers actually need.

5. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    Strength in your hands WILL help your dexterity. Dexterity...is more off an ability to control your hands and fingers, but the strength is what enables your dexterity to do its job a lot quicker. I've been a drummer for 6 years, and just got my bass on thursday (last week). A couple years ago, I couldn't roll on a snare drum to save my life...the problem was I didn't have my strength and dexterity in my fingers. I practiced and practiced, until I could pull out some pretty quick, and evenly spaced strokes, but my lack of good speed hindered the sound of a smooth roll. I bought some hand grip exercisers, and after months of just squeezing these things while watching TV, my speed improved tremendously. Even now, with my bass, I can finger the frets pretty darn quickly, but my dexterity is very poor, because I've only been playing the bass for a couple days, hea hea :) hope this helps
  6. Thanks for the imput. And thank you for mentioning chinese health balls. That is definately something I'm going to try. As for the ones that say the gripmasters and things of that sort are crap and don't do anything, I can see how they might not help with dexterity, but they must do SOMETHING. Even if the only thing they do is make the muscles in your hands and fingers stronger. That has to help something in terms of playing. I would think that by strenthening the hands and fingers, playing would be less stressing on the wrists and hands, especially with my being a girl and having, well, girl hands. :D
  7. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    there's this book out called bass fitness.
    i swear that's all you'll need,that grip gadget
    can lead to carpel tunnel..be careful.
  8. me and my sick mind but come on...

hand exercises
    chineese balls
    "he has a ****ing huge ass muscle" yea ok i've taken it half way thru a sentence but still pretty sick

let the sick live on
  9. camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    The best thing that works for me is stretching. I literally spend 10 minutes before I even pick up my bass stretching my fingers to the point I cant feel any tension in my ligaments at all. I usually shake my hands in between the stretches for a minute to get the blood flowing. Not only am I limber and ready to play fast right away, but by doing this even when I don't play, my flexibility, strength, and dexterity all are improved. 5 fret stretch on the B string? Easy. You also get the added benefit of lowering your chances of hand injurys. Of course, as previously stated, nothings more important than practice.

10. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I personally play with myself at home all the time! HeHe makes for great hand strength! Ok i had to make it sound that way! There is so much to work with!
  11. G 1234
    A 1234
    D 1234
    E 1234
    B 1234
    etc all the way up and down
    try to keep your thumb off the back of the neck

a guitar player gave me that exersice and i swear by it....

but also stretch your hands and warm up before you play....
  12. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I was thinking about going towards one of those grip things but they are a waiste of time!!!

I have a exercise for you but take it easy.
    The way I describe this one is with this...
    remeber when in gym class you my had to do the splits but by accident you went to far?

|-9------- |-9--------|-9-------|-9-9-9-9-|
    |-8------- |-8--------|-8-8-8-8-|-8-------|
    |-6------- | -6-6-6-6-|-6-------|-6--------|

you must keep your other fingers down at all times to hold the note!!!

if you find this too hard then

|-8------- |-8--------|-8-------|-8-8-8-8-|
    |-7------- |-7--------|-7-7-7-7-|-7-------|
    |-6------- | -6-6-6-6-|-6-------|-6--------|

either way you should start off slow and work your way up "when you are comfortable" with that speed

it also helps to rest your hands for about 20 seconds and then start again.

This also helps you move you fingers independantly

have fun:D