Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hand excersizes

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by britrit, Jan 25, 2006.

1. britrit

britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    London
    I've just gotten into the wonderful world of two hand tapping. And it's hard, very hard. I got into this by figuring out how Stu Hamm plays Linus and Lucy, and trying to play it. I can't seem to get my two hands to act on their own, it seems like it's either one hand or the other. So my question for you all is this - what excersizes could help me with this? Or do you know any easier songs to start off with?

Thanks so much for your help,
    John.

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You could learn to play Jerry was a Racecar Driver by Primus...that's a pretty simple two handed tapping song. Also by Primus, you could play DMV...another two handed tapping song.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Practice is the only way to develop the coordination necessary for playing two parts at once.

I am moving this to the Technique forum. I suggest that your search that forum for tapping. There are a lot of threads related to this topic.

4. just stick with it another week and youll be fine

5. britrit

britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    London
    OK, thanks for moving it, I hadn't seen this forum before. Apologies.

Thanks for the help guys.

6. vincentpghpa

vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    What is two hand tapping?

7. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    It's where you're doing hammer-ons on the fretboard with both hands. Like Eddie Van Halen does on guitar.

8. vincentpghpa

vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    Call me a moron then but what is hammer-ons?

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Scratch your arse a few hundred times. That's how the pros do it.