1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hand gradually moves off frog towards tip

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by BassBot, Jun 21, 2007.

1. BassBot

BassBot

Oct 31, 2006
    San Francisco
    I've had this problem with my French bowing recently. As I'm playing, my hand tends to gradually slip and move towards the tip. I even use a rubber grip. The three fingers on the frog tend to slide towards the tip and push the index finger until it comes off the grip. It causes me to have regrip the bow on the fly. Perhaps the momentum of my wrist motion gradually pulls the fingers with it. These fingers are not gripping, but just laid gently on the frog.

It sounds like a stupid problem. But it's been bugging me and my teacher doesn't seem to have an answer. He claims my technique is fine. Is it normal to have to regrip the bow while playing? Is there something technique-wise that could counter this problem?

2. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    This happens to me too, heck its a better problem
    to have than cramped fingers from squeezing too
    hard on the bow :)

What my teacher told me is, when you notice the
    hold has slipped from the correct position, stop,
    reset hold, go on...

I'm told over time the problem goes away, I
    dont think its happening to me as much any
    more either.

Practice practice

3. BassBot

BassBot

Oct 31, 2006
    San Francisco
    Yeah, that's probably true. I'v only been playing seriously with the bow for a little over a year. Thanks!

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    That's for sure. I came from having that problem to a relaxed hold with my latest teacher, but we had to work really hard to get me to relax (my whole body actually - I guess I'm a pretty intense person!)

5. thedbassist

thedbassist

Sep 10, 2006

Where do you place your thumb while holding the bow?

6. BassBot

BassBot

Oct 31, 2006
    San Francisco
    My thumb is bent and resting between the frog and stick. I assume the angle of the thumb to the stick/bow is different for alot of people depending on your hand anatomy.

As I was practicing last night, I noticed that my wrist motion on an up-bow sometimes causes my whole hand to tilt towards the tip. Then, the fingers on the frog tend to move off the frog and become even more tilted. In other words, if the bow is the x-axis, my fingers start pretty much parallel to the y-axis. Then, after an up-bow, they end up a 20 degree angle to the y-axis (i.e. my fingertips are pointed down AND back a bit). When you move your wrist back and forth for down and up bows, respectively, do you keep your fingers and thumb in the same position or do they tilt a bit as well? It's hard to keep them still when they are so relaxed and not grounded to the frog (i.e. gripping the frog).

7. thedbassist

thedbassist

Sep 10, 2006
    Ideally, your thumb should have no dependence on the frog of the bow. I place my thumb on the side of the frog, and have not experienced and slipping of the bow or my hand moving, although I use to have to regrip when my teacher didn't correct me on my bad bow technique(I have since moved onto a professional bass player for a teacher and he has greatly helped with my bowing technique and bow hold). Also, a good idea would be to play in front of the mirror to see what you're possibly doing wrong so you can fix it and become better for it.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021