1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hand grip trainer for strengthen the fingerboard hand?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by mrbaloo, Aug 8, 2018.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I have just bought a hand grip trainer like this:
    e6292c1349a37b5bc3ab92b4279a5e13620a0783.

My intention is to strenghten my left hand and arm muscles to be able to play DB more relaxed. Right now I have used the trainer just about a week and starts to notice some improvements regarding my playing endurance.

My exercise consists of both complete hand training (as seen in the figure) but also fingerboard training for 1st finger, 1st&2nd&3rd fingers, and all four fingers as used on the fingerboard. I also led my fingers have their arch shape as used on the fingerbord against the strings. These exercises are repeated in three sets of 10-12 reps. Right now I'm using the lowest possible hardness of the tool (approx 10 kg).

Are some of you here at TB also using these types of exercise tools?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    No, because you don't stop notes by using your fingers. It's not squeezing the string between your finger and the fingerboard. You want to play with a relaxed and tension free approach, you have to use forearm, elbow, and shoulder as well as physics (gravity). You're a creature of free will and could whatever the hell you want, but I have never used anything like that and I'm pretty sure that nobody I like to listen to ever has either...

lurk, oldNewbie, Lejdestad and 7 others like this.
  3. It's all in Ed's post.

I would put it like this: You want to get more comfortable squeezing a training tool, use a training tool. You want to get more comfortable playing the bass? Play the bass. If I'd like to find out how to use an axe, I better get some wood-chopping going, instead of trying the swing with a baseball bat.

I might add, I have not even a remote idea how much 10 kg pressure is related to playing notes on the bass. It sounds like really much. It seems you can easily hurt yourself with these training thingies.

Best
    Sidecar

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  4. TomHang

TomHang

Apr 25, 2018
    +1
    [​IMG]

5. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I agree 100%. 200% even. Still, after a bike ride my two finger pizz playing is a little sharper from using the handbrakes. Such a thing could make your two finger pizz a bit faster, however, it could also speed up tendon issues. If you understand that there are only a few things that use hand and finger strength it could be a very minor benefit for those very specific things.

6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    All them old guys like Steve Gilmore, Eddie Gomez, Michael Moore etc etc etc who're tearin' it up into their 60's and 70's ain't doing it on brute hand strength.....

7. Rock climbing seems the best for strengthening forearms, but it also destroys calluses in the short term.

8. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I recommend practicing your bass instead of squeezing that thing.

salcott likes this.
  9. After a really great lesson with Ken Filiano last week, I got reminded (as always after hanging with Ken) that the bass will sound it’s best when you use as little tension as possible. I’m trying paraphrase Ken, but he basically said digging in will do the exact opposite it’s intention is. The bass will do most of the work for us, we just need to be it’s humble guide.

tonequixote and damonsmith like this.
  10. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I used one of those while recovering from Carpal Tunnel Release surgery on my left hand. Once the PT was done, I stopped using it. I have some stretches I do with both hands before I start playing, and also use this https://www.amazon.com/FlexEx-Hand-Exerciser-Triple-Pack/dp/B00597E3QG daily. Yellow maybe moving up to red only-blue is way too stiff.

11. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I'm very well into this playing technique but it seems to me that I can stay more relaxed with my fingerboard hand and not squeezing the bass neck as much as Before to be able to press down the strings.

12. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Breathe, relax and play.