1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hand Health

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fritz4Bass, Nov 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Musicians

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bassists

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Hand Therapists

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Fritz4Bass

Fritz4Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Hey gang:

My topic is Hand Health and more specifically I've been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my middle finger joints. I've been playing for 50+ years developing this condition over the past five years. My middle finger joints are stiff and swollen, my articulation is now compromised, I've been to a Traditional/Alternative MD, Rheumatologist, and spoken with a few physical therapists about hand health.

I have somewhat settled on a few methods to unstiffen my hands that start with washing dishes first thing in the morning with hot (not scalding) water, followed by taking specific joint supplements such as Tri Flex, Omega 3 Fish Oil, and most recently Turmeric with the latter producing rather swift results.

I go to the gym regularly three times a week, squeeze a rubber ball for 10 minutes while walking on a treadmill, and other exercises: just to keep flexible and moving. Also, I've been informed but have yet to try Parrafin Wax treatment therapy, and most recently looking into "Stem Cell" (my own) therapy via my doctor.

I'm open for other suggestions if anyone would like to join in the discussion.

murphy and Stumbo like this.
  2. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    I had mysterious recurring pain in my hands and feet for years. Long story short, I now take a lot of vitamin D2 and magnesium supplements and things are much improved.

murphy likes this.
  3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    IANAD but IME rest is the best remedy. If it hurts, stop.

murphy likes this.
  4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    i have first stages that was very painful earlier in the year...but settled back down....maybe because band work has slowed down these last few months

5. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    In many, many cases of arthritis, it helps to keep the joints moving. Many of my family suffer(ed) from this. From osteo to rheumatoid, and all of them benefited from keeping active.

OP - sounds like you're taking this by the horns and will find what works best for you. I'd not heard of turmeric helping. Interesting. Keep us posted.

6. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Squeezing a rubber ball for 10 minutes every day puts a lot of repetitive stress on your hand - exactly the opposite of what you want. From what you describe, you already get plenty of hand exercise with your daily activities. Daily stretching to keep your hands and fingers limber and flexible would be optimal. All you need is a minute or two per hand, every day.

You have the right idea with heat. Thirty to sixty minutes a day with moderate heat applied to your hands will promote circulation and healing. If you have swelling, then apply cold for up to an hour at a time. Once the swelling has subsided, use heat therapy again.

I'm an industrial painter by day and pretty much every job I've ever had has been highly stressful on my hands. I also play bass and drums 10 - 12 hours a week and all of this stress used to cause my some pain along with swelled joints. Daily stretching and occasional heat seems to have permanently fixed my hand problems.

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I developed what they call "trigger finger" about a year and a half or two years ago in the middle finger of my right hand. If my hand was in a fist position (be it tight or loose), that middle finger would "lock up" in the closed position. It WOULD open up, but instead of opening up normally, it would suddenly "snap" open (kind of like an assisted opening tactical knife).

I play my bass finger-style, so I compensated by plucking with my index, ring, and little fingers of my right hand instead of the middle one. But eventually, I went to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hands. He gave me a shot - I think it was cortisone - and it was good as new. But it's started doing it again, so I think I'll need surgery. The good news is that the doc said it's one of the simplest and safest surgeries he does. So we'll see how it goes...

Not sure what can be done for your osteoarthritis though. Sorry...

8. Heat for stiffness, Cold for pain, massage, stretching, plus moving each joint thru it's FULL range of motion daily. Capsaicin cream & Arnica cream assist too. Menthol spray/cream & Tigerbalm ointments can help when applied before activity.

Supplements: Turmeric (Curcumin),
    Omega-3 eg. Green-Lipped Mussel Extract.