Hand made bass guitars.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThebassNoob, Nov 22, 2005.

1. ThebassNoob

Sep 15, 2004
    I am currently looking into making my own bass guitar. I have all the necesary tools, and i was wondering were i would be able to get the wood for a good price.. and what woods would you reccomend? I will also be doing the neck.. and was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some tips/pointers on how i should move on this...

*Note* i have wood working experience.. so i know what i am doing in this area.

2. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
  3. ThebassNoob

Sep 15, 2004
    good deal! thanks a ton!
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My advice is if you think you have all the tools, you don't. :p
  5. The Carvin store seems like a place to get cheap body blanks in alder or ash.
  6. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Gallery Hardwoods also has a forum here. VERY helpful, I've bought some knobs and JUST ordered pens for my CEO (he doesn't do only bass/guitar stuff thankfully or I wouldn't know what to get my CEO for a gift :smug: )
    Very knowledgable and friendly to work with, gave me tons of good suggestions and was very helpful.
  7. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Or mahogany, or walnut, or maple, or - when available - koa. Only alder and swamp ash are advertised, but any of the woods Carvin makes bodies out of are available as body blanks if you ask.
  8. ThebassNoob

Sep 15, 2004
    good deal! i may be purchasing the ash body blank... i have my design all drawn out on paper, all i will have to do is put it to the wood and see how it goes... i was considering putting a two stips of either Koa or mahogany in the body... towards the center.. but i was wondering if that would accually be possible.
  9. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I really like the wenge/bubinga neck combo. I also really like Koa bodys. I've allways wanted to do that combo, see how it turns out, don't really know how it'd sound. But I have no idea where you could acquire the body blanks, why don't you try emailing like Roscoe and places to see where they get there woods from, worst come to worst, they say they chop them down themselves.