Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hand pain..I'm screwed...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Murf, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi Guys/gals,
    right I'm potentially in serious trouble, I suspect I'm in the early stages of either carpal tunnel or a RSI, if so I'm SCREWED bigtime, after years of gigging and slogging on the circuit I'm now involved in a project about to do great things, in the sense that I can be a pro musician fulltime and spend the next few years travelling but if my hand is screwed thats me out of the picture.

To top it off I'm a graphic/multimedia designer by trade and if my hand is gone I cant use a computer which basically leaves me unemployed no matter which way I look at it... :crying:

Guys PLEASE look after your hands, do proper stretching/warmups before practicing /gigs...ditto if your using a computer a lot...
    plus! dont ignore the warning signs, if it hurts STOP and rest.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You suspect but what did Doc say?

I hope it's just tendonitis. CTS really sucks.

3. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    I got a doctors apt Friday so fingers crossed (ouch)..however in the meantime I got a graphics deadline for thursday and I'm in the houseband for a tv show which is being recorded wednesday..so my poor hand aint gonna get a lot of rest before Friday....

yep I'm screwed.

4. I've had CTS since I was 16, and let me tell you this much: I wasted a year of my life and health seeing a hand surgeon. Two surgeries later, it only further damaged my wrists.

I see a chiropractor now who knows a thing or two about cts/tendonitis, and now I can actually play music again. To some degree, at least. I doubt I'll ever recover 100%, but I'm doing well enough to play/gig again, just I can't play as hard/fast as I once could.

5. If you feel like you have to do the gig, then please make sure to assert the message clearly and boldly that you have a serious issue on your hands...er hand. That way, whoever it concerns can really take it to heart, which will help you as far as getting some slack cut.

6. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Ok guys, turned out I had a "sprained wrist" and with rest my hand is slowly getting back to normal.

I got such a fright with this as if it had been carpal tunnel or an RSI It wouldve cost me my job AND my hobby, funny how we take our hands for granted.

I know one thing, I'll be taking a lot better care of myself from now on.