Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hand Size!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPulsar, Dec 9, 2002.

1. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi,

I want to buy a 6 string (yes.... I know........ Jaco didn't need a 5 or 6 string bass to be best the bassist ever), but I really am scared about this hand size issue, because I want something with wide string spacing - so I can slap as well (I was thinking of a Yamaha TRB6II).
    Thus, I would appreciate help (from anyone playing 6 string basses, with wide neck, or someone who has tried them before) giving some advice and input (e.g., the size of your hands!!) and if I should even care about this!!

Thank you all, for your time and attention...

P.S. - I can't try a 6 string bass (with wide neck), because where I live (Portugal) it is really difficult to find them. The close I can get is a Yamaha RBXJM, but, from what I have read, this thing has narrow string spacing.

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Ola Basspulsar,

Como esta o tempo la em portugal?
    Es do sul o do norte?
    :D

Well, about the TRBII. I've tried it once and the neck is pretty comfortable. It's wide but thin back to front.
    If you really have small hands, maybe you could try to find something narrower at the nut end, with a remaining 19 string to string spacing @ the bridge.

No custom builders in portugal?? Think Jerzy Drozd maybe, he's in spain so it's not far away from you...

JP

3. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I have proper womens hands, I play a six. I went for narrow (17mm) spacing and I'm getting along Ok, but I couldn't slap for **** in the first place.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I certainly don't want to start another argument thread as there are plenty already, but there is plenty of previous discussion to be read about concerning hand size and playing bass.

However, I can't jump into a thread and not share my position. So, in a nutshell:

When speaking of the normal range of adult humans, hand size has very little to do with playing bass. If you work to develop proper technique, you can easily play any bass out there whether it has four strings or nine.

Buy the bass that best meets your needs and wants.

Chas

5. I have never played a six string, but I do have a five string with only 16 mm string spacing at the bridge. At first it took a little getting used to, but now I actually prefer the narrow string spacing. (I have small hands and I find it makes skipping strings and muting easier)
    As for slapping, I have had no problems with the narrower string spacing (just make sure your thumb is parallel to the string when you hit it), I actually prefer my five to my four string for slapping. (stiffer neck)
    IMO you shouldn't worry about narrow string spacing, you'll get used to it in no time ! (I was worried too when I bought my five, and after a couple of days I wondered what all the fuss had been about.)
    A six string with wide spacing will result in a very wide neck, to me such a wide neck would be a thousand times more worrying then narrow string spacing ... but I do have small hands.

6. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    I agree with JP that the Yamaha does have a wide spacing at the nut end. Made the neck feel wider than other six strings I have played. My Peavey was very comfy.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have small hands, and play wide spacing 5's and medium spacing 6's with no problem.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I have large fingers, yet I feel more comfortable on smaller necks :confused:

see, it's all personal taste, you cant know it till you play it

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I have normal hands. I don't think it's a big issue. It's mind over matter, anyhow. Proper technique and practice will overcome small hands. I've always preferred a wide string spacing(traditional Fender 19mm) I think it's a smarter setup overall for most basses. That's my opinion. Go for it and enjoy!:)

Rob