hand slaps

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by i got no name, Jun 15, 2001.

1. has n e one used there whole hand to kinda stop the note completely? i have been doing it for skunk anansie's "weak" in conjunction with my MXR phase 90 pedal and have found that it does work surprisingly well!!!! its almost like a slap, but subtle and it has a slight pinch harmonic on it as well, if u hit it right......try it, and get back to me with how u found it!!!

if u don't have the phase, use a flanger or try it clean, but turn the bass most of the way down, no high, but mostly mid.........get back to me!!!!
  2. is n e one gonna try this or r u lot gonna sit there like lemmings???!!!!!! it does sound really funky, its a way of acentuating the stopping the note so that u can play n a different rhythm.....kinda hard to explain, but once u start trying it u will understand!!!
  3. Yeesh...
    don't needa get all riled up because no one's responding...look at my EE thread over in Misc. No one's really replying, but I'm not complaining. Why am I not complaining? Because I'm only asking for opinions on stuff. I can find material on my own, it's just a little easier if there's anyone out there that's found something, or knows of something that I'd be able to use as a resource.

As for hand slaps...if you're talking about what I think you are, then you can just use a finger or two to do it. Using your entire hand makes it slower and more clumsy, with the chance of striking another string as well, or even ruining the bass.
    Besides, if you just use a finger or two, then people hear that really cool sound, but don't know what made the sound. Then you'll have people wondering "What the hell was that really cool sound, and how the hell did they do that?" Then you'll have a crowd of people following your band to try & find out how you did it, thus building up a loyal fan base. ;)
  4. well, thats what i did actually mean but it didn't come out that way........i haven't got a very good way with words...sorry!!!!! i did mean to do it with ur fingers
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What you describe is known as lefthand slapping

cf. Marcus Miller, Stu Hamm and countless others
  6. no, i mean off the right hand, u use it to stop the note dead, producing an almost pinch harmonic sound as well as a very staccato note
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I no a lot uf glockenspiel playerz hoo use this trick 2.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"i did mean to do it with ur fingers"

"i haven't got a very good way with words...sorry!!!!!"

You can say that again......on second thoughts maybe not! :D
  9. I'm pretty sure I know what Mr. Illiterate (hey, if people can call me Mr. Smarty pants, I can call other people other names, too! :p) is talking about. If I had a mic for my computer, I'd record a quick clip & link to it or attach it if it were small enough.
    But...alas, no mic for the computer.
    No camera, either. Boo hoo. :p
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I don't think the problem is knowing what he's talking about, but rather a matter of consistency - in one post it's one thing and in the next another!
  11. is it like the technique Abe Laboriel uses ?

that certainly is a usful one,

wackaty wack wack wack, wackaty, boink boink

is very good, not so good with exsposed pole pieces or slack B's
  12. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    Eye once toored wif a ban' what had a uka'laylee playuh doo thet 2....