1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hand truck mounting bracket question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 1dreday, Oct 7, 2013.

1. 1dreday

1dreday

Nov 22, 2009
    hi i have one of these folding hand truckd that have a weight capacity of 150lbs. i' looking for a way of mounting it to my gk mb112 combo for easy transport, right now i've got them tethered with flat bungees, but not working to well, i'm thinking there must be some sort of bracke i could buy. i also included a pic of wht i'm trying to accomplish. the amp in the pic is pretty much what mine looks like btw.
    any advice appreciated
    dre'

Attached Files:

2. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    Theres probably a different name for them in america but ive had good experience using trailer tie downs / Ratchets. Hope you know what i mean, theyre in any decent hardware store. Its a nylon strap with a ratchet, can take 1 or 2 hundred kg, same idea as the bungee rope things but much more secure

3. 1dreday

1dreday

Nov 22, 2009
    thanks for the response but i'm looking for a way of permanantly mounting the hand truck pictured to my amp
    any ideas? i was thinkn of just taking it to lowe's and seeing if theres some sort of brackt i could use to screw the 2 together

4. Pipe insulation for the dolly uprights.

Half round brackets with ears (tabs) for the screwin' to the dolly uprights.

Coarse thread screws for fastenin' the brackets to the amp.

BAM!

Remember to mount a cup holder on the dolly upright.

5. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Dunno if I'd screw the hand cart to the cab, permanently. I'm thinking the thing might rattle from the low frequency energy, while you're playing.

I'd use the tie down strap puddin tame mentioned above.

6. This. Permanent mounting likely to create more problems than it'll solve.

Problem with the bungees is they stretch. Tie-down straps wont, plus they're easy on and off. Done.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Another +1 to possible rattles and different volumes and different frequencies.

I use tie down straps for mine and they work great. I've done the bungee cord thing too and it works, but it doesn't work all that well.

8. That's pretty much the exact same setup I have for my MB115. When I bought my hand truck from Sears a few years back I also picked up a couple of wide bungee cords. I slip the hand truck in back of the amp, tie it down with the bungee cords, and I'm off to the races. I don't think I'd want to make it a permanent solution, since I mount my amp on an amp stand. You might want to consider not making it a permanent solution as well. Sometimes you have to play on tight stages, and you need to be flexible when it comes to amp placement.

9. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    To me that setup you are trying to copy looks like someone took apart a rolling suitcase, then mounted the pull out handle and wheels from said suitcase to the amp.
    If you really wanted to mount that hand truck permanently to your amp I would drill multiple holes in the frame on the bottom couple through the lower and upper plastic cross bars then screw it directly to the amp.

Or if you wanted to get fancy you could install these
    Handle
    wheels

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    The simplest way to mount your amp to a hand truck would be to get piece of stout wood like a 2x4 just a bit wider than the uprights on the hand truck. Get you some bolts long enough to go through the 2x4, the gap between the wood and the amp, and whatever the thickness of the amp side is, plus enough to run a couple of nuts sitting on a washer inside the cab. Hold the block up to the truck and mark it to drill a couple holes just inside the uprights. Drill and countersink the holes so your bolt heads are below the surface of the wood block. Put the amp on the truck, hold the wood up with one bolt stuck through it and mark where it touches the amp. Drill the hole in your amp and put in a bolt, snug it up but don't gank it down. Now do your final alignment of the wood block and cab, then put the second bolt through the block and mark your amp with it. Drill the last hole and put the whole thing together. If you can't find some nylock nuts make sure your bolts are long enough to accept a flat and split lock washer, or at least a flat washer and two nuts. Run the first nut down an tighten everything up, then put an additional nut on each bolt and run it down tight against the first nut. This will jam the nuts and will keep things from shaking loose when you play. If you have trouble keeping the bottom of your amp on the truck, I'd use some epoxy to glue it down. The lip on your average hand truck will be too thin to for simple countersinks so you will have to come up with some flathead screws and the proper countersink tool (82deg for metric, 90 for std) and even then the lip may still be too thin to bolt through without having some portion of your bolt head hanging below the lip of the hand truck, and snagging on everything, making it a major PITA to use.

if you have access, a piece of steel or thickish aluminum would work in place of the wood block. Whatever you use, make sure to round the edges to avoid gouging holes in your legs.

Personally, I think this would be a bad idea, but it's not my amp so it's not my call. Your gear your call.

11. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    Buy a rolling suitcase from Walmart. Use it as an amplifier case that you can roll in and out of gigs with. You can also throw your cables in the suitcase, and it will protect the amp from weather, and much wear and tear. Between that and a gig bag on your back, you can easily go in and out of a gig in one trip.