1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hand warm ups

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bloodandwhiskey, Mar 31, 2006.

1. I have noticed over the last few week that my kunckles on both of my hand have been feeling sore, inculding after playing bass. i remeber reading about proper warm up to prevent that soreness but just sort of brushed it off. i was just wondering, what are some things i could do before practiseing to help with this?

2. I like to play lightly on a hand drum for a few minutes to get the blood flowing. Seems to help. I also try to stretch a lot.

3. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Try warming up your entire body by doing something physical like basketball or some jumping jacks or something - something to get the blood pumping - because when your entire body is warmed up, your hands are warmed up!

4. I outstretch both my hands all the way and then close them all the way in 20 times. Usually 5 sets of 20. Or until I start ot feel slight burn, dont wanna hurt anything ya know...:smug:

5. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I stretch extensively before doing percussive "stuff" on my legs while I sit and wait. If I find that it's cold enough to keep my hands cold, I'll run them under hot water for a few minutes.

6. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    I stretch and massage both hands and wrists for about 30 minutes prior to a gig and for about 5 minutes prior to each set. We play a very physical instrument in terms of the stresses we put our hands through in a night. You have to prep for that.