1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hand Washing Before Playing

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DoggBisket, Oct 15, 2009.

1. DoggBisket

DoggBisket

May 3, 2009
    Minnesota
    I'm just curious if any of you are like me and religously wash your hands before playing your bass? How bout going as far as insisting that others wash their hands before playing your bass? I do.

Then when I am done I wipe the bass down with a microfiber cloth.

Not sure if this belongs in the "Humor" category but there is not better place that I could see, and some of these stories might even be funny.

2. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    Not me. I save lots of money on string lube by utilizing the natural greasiness inherent in my dirty hands.

3. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I wash my hands before playing but generally only if I have done something that warrants like eating food, working, handling messy stuff or having a sit on the Lu.

It drives me batty that I see basses that look like people were eating chicken as they were playing....ug!

4. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
    I wash them before stage.

5. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I probably don't regularily do it, but I do if I think there's any reason my hands aren't as clean as they should be. I HATE to play with grease on my fingers, and I hate playing greasy strings. So, I don't play with dirty hands, but generally my hands are pretty clean anyway, so I don't always feel the need to wash 'em up beforehand.

6. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I do the second, but not the first.

7. I wash my hands before playing. And as such, I also require others to do the same before touching my bass. Whats the use if I do it, if everyone else doesn't? :D

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I always forget to, and I always wish I did. It's a good idea if you want your strings to last.

9. Bassman203

Bassman203

Mar 29, 2008
    Chicagoland
    My friend requested I wash my hands before I played one of his guitars (his prized one). I did, but laughed to myself as his guitar isn't so great. I respect his rules, if he wants me to wash my hands I will, but I would understand more if he had an awesome guitar.

Of course if my hands are dirty I'd wash them before playing any instrument, but my hands don't tend to have grease or dirt on them. Just the standard bacteria and such.

10. ...easier said than done during a busy gig....

11. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    I have gone off the deep end and wash too much - even if I took a 20 minute break I wash again. Not sure how I developed this compulsion, but it has taken a good hold over the years. Oh, I don't let anyone play my bass!! :)

I think I will go wash now.....

12. Bassman203

Bassman203

Mar 29, 2008
    Chicagoland
    of course that depends on how you like your strings

13. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Lots more important to wash after playing than before, IMO. Especially before you grab that cheeseburger on break.

14. fwiw I wash my hands before I touch my instruments, between sets and I politely ask anyone using my instruments on a session wash their hands first...

I find on bass, dirty strings are really annoying... it is seeming to bother me more as I get older.

15. I do, I find it easier to play if I do :)

16. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Actually, I do. It just makes them feel nicer on the strings.

17. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    I always wash my hands before I pick up my bass. If I sweat a lot, I will wash them any chance I can get.
    I make others wash before picking up my bass.:D
    I get icked out when folks dont wash up after the restroom...eww...

18. ^ This. And I keep a CLEAN, soft, cotton towel in my back pocket for hand drying between songs.

19. I'm guilty of this, and I use a cloth to wipe down, and I use the string cleaner to clean my strings after each session.

*hugs his ocd*

20. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    i don't want to give my bass the swine flu