Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hand Washing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Petary791, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    37.0%
  1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Do you guys wash your hands before touching your bass? I have friends who are TOTALLY O.C.D. and won't let me touch their bass until they see me wash my hands. It's not even like a $4000 bass either.

I normally don't, I don't see how that would make a huge difference...? :meh:

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Never have, never will. Unless of course, I have food or motor oil all over them.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah I agree with that. If I clearly have dirt or i'm done eating pizza or something then I will.

4. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    today was my first time ever doing this...
    that's really all I have to add to this thread

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Some people's sweat have more excessive amounts of godknowswhat in them that are toxic to strings. I sweat quite abit but have never had a problem with my strings tarnishing, dying, or even breaking preamturely. I had a guitarist whose sweat could eat right through steel. Those are the ones that need to wash their hands prior to touching instrument strings. :ninja:

6. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Before every set, everytime. Maybe it's just a habit, but I feel better playing with clean hands.

7. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    +1

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yep. Go wash your hands after loading in. Look at the color of the water and soap coming off as you rinse. It's dirt and oil. All that would be going into your strings and onto the neck and fretboard. I also wash between every set.

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I always wash my hands with hot water and soap, not only does keep my neck and strings clean, but it also gets the blood in my hands going!

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Ii only wash if my hands aren't filthy, but then again, I'm one of the (seems to be) few guys who wash their hands when they get dirty and after going to the bathroom, lol...

12. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Yeah, I have to. My sweat is like acid - I had a decent watch (Bulova) and my sweat ate right through the case! Lucky I don't do that to stainless or I wouldn't have my Rolex (or Tag)!

Anyway, I wash my hand before I play and wipe down the strings as soon as possible.

Dan K.

13. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The funk has to come from somewhere.

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I like to play with clean hands, but I'm leary of overwashing prior to playing. I've had occasions where my callouses actually softened to the point where I developed blisters while in the middle of a set. It depends on how much I've been playing lately, but it's happened before. :meh:

15. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I carry a large container of baby wipes with me at all rehearsals and gigs. I wipe off my hands before every set. I have that really acidic element to my sweat.

16. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    just remember to wait at least ONE HOUR after washing before playing

17. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Why?

18. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I would love to know why you would give your hands time to regenerate sweat. At that point why bother waiting.
    It try to wash my hands right when I get a new set of strings. But when they start to die I stop.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ROFL ... well you sucked a couple of them in, Mom.

20. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sign me up as an obsessive hand washer. I ain't poor, but strings ain't cheap... or fun to change. :bassist: