Hand Washing

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Dec 26, 2000.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Maybe this should go in Miscellaneous, but it pertains to strings mostly. Do you wash your hands before you play? You know, to get the french fry grease and other dirt off? I do this right before I play every time, even at rehearsal. Even between sets. Maybe that's why my strings never go dead. Ever. The only time I ever change my strings is when I see some thread about how bitchen this or that string is, and I need something to satisfy my GAS. New strings are one of the cheapest ways to dispose of some minor GAS.

It also may be that I just don't sweat much, or the pH of my sweat is right at 7.0. I know that when I ask women to smell my shoes, they all say they smell like French toast. It's genetic, I think. How about the rest of you guys?
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    How do you find women to smell your shoes??? Sounds like my dream woman!!! Do any of them 'Pull your finger'??

Actually, I do wash my hands most of the time before playing. Can't handle that grimy feeling they get sometimes, and I find that I am more comfortable playing if my hands are slightly 'dry' feeling. To this end, I keep a dispenser full of Purell hand cleaner in my gig case. It is alcohol based and removes any trace oils from my hands. I also wipe down my strings quite a bit, but just to clean them, not keep them 'bright' sounding...(P-Bass with flatwounds = Mucho Bottom)

3. I wash my hands just before I play as well and especially before I go onstage at a gig. I dislike that dirty, dusty and grimy feeling on my hands that I get after lugging my gear around and setting up. I never thought of the string life-expectancy issues affected by washing my hands though. My hands do tend to sweat a bit but maybe the fact that I wash off any grime helps them last longer. Lately I usually change strings every few weeks or so but when I was playing alot I used to have to change sets every two weeks and that was really pushing it! All this hand washing has my girlfriend thinking that I have OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) though!
  4. Stangg

Stangg Guest

About those french fries, i eat them before every gig to get my hands nice and greasy. It wears down the strings a bit, but they're replacable.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i usually soak my foreams in hot water before a gig to loosen muscles, if possible, but i try to keep my hands relatively dry.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm far from anal-retentive or obsessive-compulsive, but I always make sure my hands are clean before I play or wash them a couple of times if I'm playing for an extended period of time or playing stuff that really gives my hands a workout. I don't do it for the sake of my strings, even though my breadnbutter bass has roundwounds. I do it because my neck is finished and it gets sludgy and slow. I think minute particles of my callouses get into the strings, even though I wash my hands. Otherwise, when I don't use fingers to play, what's that black crap on my picks?
  7. I thought I was one of the few people that always washes his hands before playing, glad I'm not alone, and yes I do think that is a reason my strings last so long and my basses look so shiny and happy.
  8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, that brings up another topic ... fingerprints. Rather than start a new thread, though, I'll just get it off my chest right here. I polish my basses before every gig. I hate it when the follow spot picks up fingerprints on an instrument. I saw Clint Black playing a beautiful Brian Moore guitar, but the deep purple finish had smudgey fingerprints all over it. I thought, "That SOB guitar tech should be shot!" Y'know, you spend your life savings on a guitar, then you degrade it by getting fingerprints all over it before a show. What's the danged deal on that, huh?
  9. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I wash for all the above reasons. Keeps the strings brighter, the neck faster, and yes I hate smudges too. I have actually not bid on ebay axes because there were fingerprints all over the bass as pictured. I keep my Road King spotless, and my bass guitars as well!
  10. munji - what do you polish your basses with? mainly i just wipe prints off mine with a sheet, but it's not very efficient.

btw i don't wash hands before playing, unless it's cold, in which case i have to run my hands under warm water for a minute or i can't play worth crap.
  11. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I always clean my hands before I play. I carry a pack of Hecules pre moistened hand towels with me they work the best for getting that KFC fried chichen grease off.
    I also keep a old piece of a t-shirt on my amp to wipe off the strings as often as I can while playing.
    I clean my basses that I'm going to use before each gig and then thoroughly during a string change.
  12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I polish them with an old T-shirt and Alembic guitar polish.
  13. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Like Munji, I use old cotton teeshirts. What's the deal w/the polish cloths that come with most decent basses? I hate em. All they do is smudge. Maybe I'm not using them correctly :)
    I watch the two guitarists in our band eat pizza, fries, whatever and then pick up their Strats. Gives me the creeps.

Dave (an admitted handwasher)

14. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Does that line work?? "My feet smell like French toast. Check it out." I swear to God, next time I'm in North County, I'm gonna take you out for a drink at El Torito or something and have you demonstrate your technique with the ladies. I'll be taking notes. :D

As for dying strings, two words - Elixir.

My hands are pretty dry, but steel roundwounds would still give up the ghost at about six weeks. I would wash my hands prior to playing, and wipe them off afterwards. But ever since I put on some Elixirs (about 3 months now), I don't even think about it. I love 'em.

However...I hate fingerprint smudges, and wipe my bass clean with a cloth diaper/nappy (see how sensitive I am to our non-American counterparts?) before I play in front of people. Say what you want about Carvins, but their sunburst finish is AWESOME, and I don't won't any prints detracting from it. Otherwise, people might actually listen to my playing rather than admiring my purdy bass, and we certainly don't want that. :)
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I wash my hands before and between sets and basically whenever I'm playing. My hands stay dry. My string apparently last a long, long time (compared to others). I wipe my basses down with my endless supply of tradeshow and company t shirts. For polish, I use Meguiars.
  16. Tritoch

Sep 9, 2000
    This is a joke right? This has got to be a joke. And we wonder why the commen bass player is looked down on as the losers,....except maybe gene simmons. ..........................................anyway, i wash my hands as less as posible, my calluses get all soggy, and get crap in my strings.
  17. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Heck, and I thought it was because of their poor spelling, grammar and hygiene. Not to mention poor choice of role models...

18. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    I don't wash my hands before I play, I actually go out of my way not to. I make sure they aren't visibly dirty, but my fingers tend to 'bind' to the strings when the are really clean
  19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    lump -

First off, my feet really DO smell like French toast ... that helps. Second, I'd settle for Tio Leo's over in Carmel Valley. And yes, some women do smell my shoes. Our current singer, for one. A bride at her wedding and one of the female guests, and the first was the cleaning lady at our office. My wife never has checked it out though. In fact, I think I'll go take a whiff right now just to make sure.

Yep. French toast. That's the smell.

20. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I HATE fingerprints on my bass. I usually do my best to keep 'em polished off, but sometimes I let it slip.

About warshin mah hands.....I don't really wash them unless I've been eatin somethin real real greasy. I don't really even think about my strings, cuz they're replaceable...I just don't want any grease eatin away the finish on my bass.

BTW...Jaco ate fried chicken before he gigged and DIDNT wash his hands. But who cares about Jaco anyways...he's just a beginner:D:rolleyes: