No longer available Handbox R-400 Hybrid Amp Head

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Furious_Man77, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Furious_Man77

Furious_Man77 Low frequencies since 1997

Jul 5, 2010
    Indiana
    Price:
    Hello! For sale is a Handbox R-400 Hybrid Amp Head. I am the second owner of this amp, though it was new as of April 2017. With me, it has lived primarily in secure, non-smoking, rehearsal/recording environment. Clear disclosure: I did perform a change to the transformer as it failed, but it was no fault of Handbox as they source these from another vendor. Completely 'plug and play' so no soldering required, and I have enough hours on it to say that the issue is remedied. While I had it open, I swapped out the stock preamp tubes for a trio of Tung Sol gold pin 12AX7s, though I can include the original tubes if you like.

Absolutely the single best hybrid tone I have ever experienced that is robust across all frequencies, and the minimal controls are more than suitable as the integrated tone is near perfection. I am moving on to new adventures outside of bass playing which is why this amp is for sale. I would prefer a local sale (and I can meet up at a reasonable distance), but I do have the original shipping carton, so we can work out a deal for shipping. Taking cash first or Paypal with a verified address. Thanks!

HB1.jpg
    HB3.jpg
    HB2.jpg
    HB4.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    lo-freq likes this.
  2. soulstew

soulstew Supporting Member

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    Gigged mine twice this weekend. Absolute tone heaven for me. Biggest, fattest tone I've had, yet not muddy in the least. I run mine with the drive on and gain at 1 o'clock, and it has that wonderful tube "bounce" on the low notes--just the slightest touch of distortion/compression. I've gigged with it numerous times since I got it last spring, and it's been a total G.A.S.-killer.
    Sorry to hear you're moving away from bass. Good luck with the sale!

speyer likes this.
  3. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Do you have specs for this head? Weight, power rating, etc? Thx!

4. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
  5. Furious_Man77

Jul 5, 2010
    Indiana
    Yep, that is the right link. 400w into a 4 ohm load, and about 23 lbs.

6. Furious_Man77

Jul 5, 2010
    Indiana
    Price drop, ready to go! Rare and just super cool!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  7. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    What part of Indiana are you in? Anywhere near Chi?

8. Furious_Man77

Jul 5, 2010
    Indiana
    Indianapolis area, but I'm good with taking a long ride to meet up.

9. Furious_Man77

Jul 5, 2010
    Indiana
    Bumped and edited to take out scary stuff.

10. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Do not hesitate people. If you are looking for clear tube tone with tightness and slamming delivery of a solid state amp - look no further. This amp is truly amazing. Can get very tasty overdriven tones as well. Glorious!

11. ^^^ This gentleman speaketh the truth.

12. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I agree. My favorite amp, ever.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  13. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Can also be modded for 2 ohm load - not sure output at 2ohms though.

14. soulstew

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    Leszek says approx. 650 watts at 2 ohms.

15. Furious_Man77

Jul 5, 2010
    Indiana
    I wonder how difficult that is to do.

16. soulstew

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    Hard to say. I ordered mine with the 2 ohm mod, so it was done when it was built. I'd bet a good tech could do it with Leszek's instructions.

17. soulstew

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    I've been playing mine early in the morning all week at low volume, and just can't get over how big and fat it sounds even at low volumes. Loud is easy, but by tweaking the drive you can get the same tubey goodness at low levels as well. Makes me late for work, as I sit and play while I wait in line for the shower, and then can't stop when it's my turn:)

I wish I could think of an excuse to buy this one, but since I already have one, it's hard to justify.

Furious_Man77 likes this.
  18. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

+1

This was one of my biggest discoveries after playing the R-400. I have posted my comments in the thread above months ago... but it’s amazing how full and thick it sounds at low volumes! NONE of the amps I have bought and sold over the past couple years have this attribute. And it’s an important one for me being a father of 3 etc. I play a low volume more than anything.

Solid amp at any volume... Guaranteed bonus.

wateroftyne and JxBass like this.
  19. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

If I had the money... I'd buy this as a backup to my R-400!!:roflmao:

Furious_Man77 and JxBass like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021