Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Handel's Messiah

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by MikeBarber, Dec 14, 2004.

1. A double bass player arrived a few minutes late for the first rehearsal of the local choral society's annual performance of Handel's Messiah. He picked up his instrument and bow, and turned his attention to the conductor. The conductor asked, "Would you like a moment to tune?" The bass player replied with some surprise, "Why? Isn't it the same as last year?"

2. I understand its always good to laugh at yourself, but even as a bassist, is that how you view your intrument? Whatever, I still got a laugh out of it.

3. Of course not. That is how I view the guitar/guitarists... but the forum is titled "Bass Humor" (or correctly spelled: Bass Humour).

4. Lighten up, Danny boy!!

5. Dear Santa,
    Can Danny have a sense of humour this year?

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm still not sure whether that joke is making fun of bassists, or the parochial tradition of choral performances of Handel's Messiah at Christmas....:meh:

7. I would say a little of both. :smug:

8. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    That's a good joke, but in reality the Messiah is tough to play from a bass perspective. An endless, non-stop continuo part that doubles the cello line and if you get lost, forget it :help: . If you share a desk then you have to keep an eye out for the "con/senza ripieno" markings so you know when to start/stop playing. For me it was yet another source of holiday season stress :( .

- Steve

http://kaybass.att.home.net

9. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Timely one there!
    I am playing this right now. Interestingly, last night at rehearsal, they hadn't given on of the 'cellists his music, and we ended up sharing a stand. Fun way to play, and I wish we did that sort of thing more often.
    Dragonetti used to sit up with the principal 'cellist in the opera orchestra, " back in the day. . ."
    LM