Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Handmade Custom or Plagiarized Essex?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Something stinks to me about this deal here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7306294787&rd=1

I'm seeing an instrument that looks amazingly like an
    Essex Ash Jazz, with all of the trademarks of the Essex including the distinctive headstock and a lame excuse as to why there are screw holes for the ashtray. I don't know of any self respecting builder that could do a bound/block inlay neck that would choose those particular 3 pieces of ash to make the body from.

I think this guy is relabeling an Essex and calling it his own "handmade custom"

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    You may be right. Since the pickguard is different, there are no holes for the neck pickup cover. The bridge is not what you would see on an Essex though. Let's see:

Essex Ash Jazz
    New pickups
    Different bridge
    New pickguard
    Sanding off the Essex logo

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Hey Hambone-look at his feedback and look at what the auctions are for. He has sold off the pickups, bridge and pickup covers, and the Essex bridge off the thing!

4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Is "Mewes customs" the same Mewes as Jason Mewes, the longhaired buddy ("Jay") of Kevin Smith in "Clerks," "Dogma," and "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?" :p

5. Personally, I'm skeptical... who makes handmade basses "a couple of times a year" and does a professional binding job, among other things...

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You're right, that bridge is just like what comes on an Essex, with 5 screws in back and two in front. Definately an Essex.

The fact that he said he dropped the bridge cover and damaged it when he clearly sold it pretty much shows how much you can trust him.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Those other auctions cinch it. He is a scammer. If he gets $550 for the bass, in addition to what he made on the parts, he nets a tidy little profit. At the expense of some poor buyer.

8. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    There is a bid on it, but the reserve is not met. I emailed the bidder and gave him the link to this thread.

9. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    The talkbass auction police hehe

10. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    If the bass were described as a "Hot Rodded Essex Bass," or "Essex Bass w/upgrades-SWEET!" that would have been alot better than "handmade."

11. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Doesn't look like he's getting that now.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And hopefully he won't.

13. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
  14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    hand made?

hot rodded?

hot made?

hand rodded?

15. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    Looks like one of those 'slim tail' bridges from custom shop parts. He probably bought most of the stuff he needed for the upgrades right on eBay as well.

16. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Good catch there Hambone. It seems like the scammers are getting into the Bass market more then ever.
    So be careful everyone. I just missed getting caught by a stolen account scam a while back.

Rusty

17. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    I do notice that the headstock on my Essex (new model) is not quite as pointy

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Rediculous what DIYers try to do. Even worse when all the parts missing on the bass were sold days before the bass, and all the new parts were just bought on eBay.

Dummy.

19. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Scumbag bought the SX '75 J on 2/9/05, did a really fast hatchet job on it and is trying to make well over double his "investment" in the pos. Rondo is obviously using the big HS now to avoid lawsuits ... I'd like to see SX's/Rondo's lawyers threaten this jag with trademark infringement. This is flat out FRAUD.

20. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish