handmade electric upright

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by c-ba55, May 3, 2003.

1. I just bought this off the guy that made it for $200.

It sounds like this. (9 second mp3)

Fir board (?!) w/ Mahogany body, transducer pickup. Pretty fun. Build up my upright chops until I deserve to buy a bottom-of-the-line doghouse.
  2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I like it. The sound seems more like a natural upright to me than when i use a fishman on the kay. I won't go off on a rant about fishman & DBs; read it all many times ;) Great looking EUB looks a lot like the Eminence ones to me. Thats all

edit: does the neck feel anything like a real DB? [if you've played a DB before] If so $200 seems like a steal.
  3. Reverend Duke

Reverend Duke

Apr 3, 2003
    is there a link you can hook a brother up with??

I need me an upright...

LOL No seriously. 200 bux is my price range.

4. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    that's pretty cool! I would probably want something like that before I go and drop a huge wad of cash on a real upright.
  5. It is a little chunky, but basically correct neck shape. It's very U, almost rectangular. The board is radiused nicely though, and there's no buzzes. It takes a LOT of effort to play. Double-stops are almost impossible for me. I played it for a while yesterday when I bought it, then had to stop because I had to play a 3 set gig last night (on fretless). Played it a bunch more today, and my fingers are burning pretty good.

There's no more to buy. He just made it for himself. This is #2, and he's using #3 right now. (which is hollow-body)

I played DB in high school a little. I've been playing a lot of fretless the last two years, and I can actually hear whether my intonation is in or not now. Whereas before, I sounded like your typical high school orchestra, blissfully unaware. Not ready to subject myself to a bow yet though.