1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

handmade electric upright

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by c-ba55, May 3, 2003.

1. I just bought this off the guy that made it for $200.
    [​IMG]

It sounds like this. (9 second mp3)

Fir board (?!) w/ Mahogany body, transducer pickup. Pretty fun. Build up my upright chops until I deserve to buy a bottom-of-the-line doghouse.

2. whoa, that' pretty cool. sounds good.:)

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I like it. The sound seems more like a natural upright to me than when i use a fishman on the kay. I won't go off on a rant about fishman & DBs; read it all many times ;) Great looking EUB looks a lot like the Eminence ones to me. Thats all

edit: does the neck feel anything like a real DB? [if you've played a DB before] If so $200 seems like a steal.

4. Reverend Duke

Reverend Duke

Apr 3, 2003
    is there a link you can hook a brother up with??

I need me an upright...

LOL No seriously. 200 bux is my price range.

L

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    that's pretty cool! I would probably want something like that before I go and drop a huge wad of cash on a real upright.

6. It is a little chunky, but basically correct neck shape. It's very U, almost rectangular. The board is radiused nicely though, and there's no buzzes. It takes a LOT of effort to play. Double-stops are almost impossible for me. I played it for a while yesterday when I bought it, then had to stop because I had to play a 3 set gig last night (on fretless). Played it a bunch more today, and my fingers are burning pretty good.

There's no more to buy. He just made it for himself. This is #2, and he's using #3 right now. (which is hollow-body)

I played DB in high school a little. I've been playing a lot of fretless the last two years, and I can actually hear whether my intonation is in or not now. Whereas before, I sounded like your typical high school orchestra, blissfully unaware. Not ready to subject myself to a bow yet though.