1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

handmade really does matter?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dino777, Sep 8, 2008.

1. dino777

dino777

Jun 19, 2008
    Taiwan
    hi all
    i've read many TB post about strings, i know that nowadays have no 100% handmade string, each string needs human's hand assistance,
    but my question is: is so-called handmade string(e.g. DR, R.cocco...) really have a better tone, better durability, and better feel? string is a personal thing, i can't tell what's difference between handmade and machine made, the only thing i know is machine made strings are cheaper in general case.
    also i can't figure out what part is handmade in the production? can someone give me some idea?
    thanx!

2. dino777

dino777

Jun 19, 2008
    Taiwan
    any opinion?
    anybody can tell some common differences of machine made between hand made?

3. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    I would recommend use of the search function this subject has been beaten like a dead horse.

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    In the world of music and instruments, hand made is typically associated with high quality. However in the world of manufacturing and engineering, automated processes that don't involve human variability are considered more consistent which is typically considered higher quality. It is possible to make a consistent piece of crap. However consitency is usally a good thing even for musicians.

5. I really cannot tell the difference. If you find a set of strings that you really like and the tone your sonic needs, regardless how they are made, then by all means buy it and use it.