1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Handmade Shen Prototype 7/8 Gamba, $5.8k, VIDEO ADDED!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by groooooove, Mar 15, 2019.

1. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Price:
    Strings:
    I have close to $8k invested in this bass - recent back-off restoration done by Jeff Bollbach in NY (crossbar replaced), in 100% perfect health. comes with bag.

Another update - a friend of mine took this bass for a spin recently and commented
    that this is pre-mass production (no shen stamp on the back of the neck) and should be differentiated from the post-mass production shens.
    It is also slightly different (as prototypes would be) from the shape of the Gemunder they now offer in willow- specifically the canted back.

This bass was owned since 1999 by a principal bass of a symphony upstate- it was used as an orchestra bass as well as for jazz. I have used it for the same purposes and it kills. also sounds wonderful in the high register, and though it is a 7/8 model, it is extremely playable and does not feel cumbersome at all. wonderful all-around bass that i'm really going to miss.

I have added a carbon fiber endpin, rubber bumpers, and fingerboard dots on the G D and G harmonics in thumb position.

42" string length. currently strung with evah pirazzi weich.

Photo-Mar-15-11-09-52-AM.jpg

New video: (similar to the other one, this is how the bass is now. Spiro mittel E w/ hipshot d-tuner, evah weich A D G. I believe the other video was before Kieran o'hara moved the soundpost for me.) Also for scale purposes, I'm only 5'8" and I can get to the upper register effortlessly on this seemingly large bass.

GOOD HEADPHONES OR SUBWOOFERS ON!!!! Don't you dare listen through a laptop speaker!!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. groooooove

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
  3. groooooove

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY

new audio sample. recorded with a zoom h6....

please turn on your subwoofer! not for the faint of heart!

i need to sell this bass, but every time i play it or listen to this i want to keep it. this could easily be a professional's working instrument in either a symphony or jazz setting for life. the sound for price is unmatched.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  4. groooooove

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    after a few small tweaks by Kieran Ohara, this bass now sounds and feels far too good to let go at this price.

no longer available

Edit 8/30/19 - My wife and I are buying a house. Long island is expensive.

I don't want to sell this bass, but if anyone is looking for a killer bass, i'll consider it. back on the market.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  5. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Gorgeous bass, but alas I'm 2,000 miles away. Hope that you get to keep it, if not someone's going to be a very happy new owner!

groooooove likes this.
  6. groooooove

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Update!
    Reduced to 5800. Closing costs on our new house will be more than we expected (welcome to long island, folks!) so it's official that I have no choice but to let this go.

Willing to travel a reasonable distance for serious buyers!

7. groooooove

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    marking this no longer available, though i have not found a financial solution, this bass is just too good to let go..

may need to sell it over the next few months regardless of how amazing it is, so feel free to reach out if you want to talk about it - but as of now, i'm doing whatever I can to keep it.

8. groooooove

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Back on the market... I did not realize the price was so low but don't feel right raising it back higher... not negotiable, 5.8K Cash only, no longer interested in any trades.

9. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    This bass with a removable neck...I'd be one happy camper.

10. groooooove

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    not for this bass, but i've wondered about my other bass what it would cost to have upton install a removable neck. probably a lot? not sure. might be worth asking

11. bazzo

bazzo

Oct 8, 2006
    Does your bass have a D or Eb neck? Thanks

12. groooooove

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Sorry for the late response, it has a perfect D neck.

13. Jason Sypher

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Do you mean it has a limitation that it cannot be converted or that it is just not converted now?

14. groooooove

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    no limitations at all, just that i've always enjoyed the Upton removable neck system and wondered how much it would cost to install.

lots of interest, but no bites yet. let me know if you want to see it!

15. Jason Sypher

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ah ok, I see. I do find this bass very intriguing and you definitely draw a nice sound out of it. I had a lesson with a bassist in the NY Phil today and I only had my plywood American Standard on hand and he was very impressed with it. I'm a little in the same boat as you. I'd like to make a switch but the bass I have is so killin' that I'd hate to make a mistake... Regardless, your bass looks really nice I actually would love to play it some time. Im in Brooklyn.

16. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    PM sent earlier today.

-S-

groooooove likes this.