Hands down the best DI ever!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Infamous_MB, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Infamous_MB

Dec 11, 2002
    Ok, this past weekend, my band recorded at Hinge Studios in Chicago. The engineer had me going through this vintage Neeve(i think thats what it was called) DI....oh man did this thing sound good, crystal clear tone, plenty of bottom end to go around, punchy mids, and beautiful highs...has anyone here ever heard of this before?
  2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Yes....Neve (that is the correct spelling) gear is named after, and designed by, Rupert Neve, who is somewhat of a legend in high end audio. Most of the higher end studios feature Neve consoles, channel strips, outboard mic pres or compressors.
    All of these are exceedingly high quality, and many of Neve's channel strips have customized to be rack mountable and are finding their way into many studio bassist's racks. Most of the Neve gear out there are usually channel strips, eq's or comps stripped right out the board, and hooked to an external power supply (Neve has designed some outboard pres and converters for API, which are hideously expensive). I am right now looking at picking up a "racked" Neve mono mic pre...the one hitch is the price. These things are VERY high priced; for instance a model 2254 mono compressor can run you about $2k, which is cheap, while a 33609 or 32264 (which are the compressors used in the Neve Recording consoles such as the 8078) will run you about $5k. FYI, a Neve recording console..let's say something small, like 12 channels, will run about $20k. When you start looking at those 48 ch. boards...well, you do the math!
    Mind you, these units are mono compressor/DIs...and..as with all Rupert Neve designed units...solid state (kinda blows the theory about tubes, eh?)!
    I don't for a moment doubt the quality of the sound you heard thru a Neve unit.....