Handymen (women)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm gonna be needing some help and I figgered what better place to come than here.

Just got a new place and it needs some fixin up. Spent most of my life chasin girls and playing the bass. Didn't spend much time with a hammer in my hand. I'm on my own now and there's work to be done. I'm game, I'm just lacking a lot of know-how and could use some help - advice, tips, instructions. Bought a book but it's only somewhat helpful. If anyone out there would be willing to help me with some specific stuff I'd appreciate it. If you volunteer I'll either email or PM you with questions when I need to. Hopefully lots will offer their expertice and I can go from talkbasser to talkbasser :D . Here's an example of what I don't know.

I went to hang a plastic cabinet over my toilet bowl. It used to be such a beautiful wall. Now it's got these 2 ugly nipple looking things with holes in it and I learned that you can't screw into plasterboard. After screwing it up I was told I need to go 16" from the end of the wall and try to find the studs. I don't think that's gonna work cuz the cabinet won't be where it's supposed to be. My do it yerself book said I can use wall anchors. Can I? If so what kind? The cabinets gonna weigh about 20lbs with stuff in it. Can I put the anchors into the ugly screw holes I made or do I have to drill clean holes. And finally, how do I use the damn anchors anyhow????

All help and words of encouragement are appreciated.

Next up, leaky toilet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If you have the time and patience: Listen to those cheezy Handy-man shows mostly on AM radio weekend mornings.

I was wondering if you were going to do wall-anchors to hang the cabinet. The usual method for Dry-wall attachments.

You can purchase a "Stud-Finder" for locating the studs. Available at a Home Depot type store.

Wall anchors are self explanatory, though follow instructions if provided.

When in doubt, you can ask a pro, a friend, or an in-law. The latter is not recommended in an in-law group setting however.
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I would try to find a "butterfly" type anchor and reuse the original holes. I normally hate the things, but since you have a pair of big honkin' holes already... They should be fine for a 20# cabinet.

They also make similar anchors in plastic that allow you to remove and reinstall the screw - much better if you can find them.
  4. there is a little thing that you use that will find studs for you when you try something with another wall so you don't have any nipple looking holes in your walls. also, you can cover the holes in your bathroom with the cabinet if you do not reuse the holes. anchors are good. i had to fix walls in my bathroom after my macho fix it up sweetie of a hubby tried to hang a towel wrack. stop laughing you all. it fell off. even his father tried to help him. i went out, got anchors, got it on the wall and it stayed. even learned how to fix the garbage disposal when he almost broke that to. needless to say, i fix things. or ask others when he is in the field to fix them so they are done before he gets home and destroys more.:D
    anyway, i am the one who owns tool boxes in the house. he rusted my darn tools. left them in the rain-how dare he. that was a fight between us. i told him when i get a new one with my new tools he is not allowed to touch them. :D
    also, you can ask the people at lowes and home depot how to put things up or fix them. they are always willing to help.
    good luck to you and be careful.:D