Hanewinckel 7, Artist Solaris - First Gig Impressions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Apr 5, 2003.

1. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Played an over-long club gig with the pictured bass (I'm using one of Pete's pics here) last night. For those who may be interested, here's my thoughts:

This bass sonically resembles my Roscoe SKB3007 more than any other 7 I own (i.e., Hanewinckel Artist Fusion, Conklin Sidewinder and Elrick Gold Standard). It has a crushing low-end with a rather subdued, almost compressed sounding mid-range and a biting top-end. It differs from the Roscoe in that the Roscoe's top-end is rather smooth while this one just really leaps out at you. I'm using Ken Smith Tapercore Custom Balance (Melvin Davis) strings on this bass and they may be too bright for it. I'm thinking of trying nickels to tone down the top a little, in fact.

I ran through my Bergantino HT112 via EA iamp600 in a small room with raised wooden stage.

How does it compare to my other sevens? Well, as stated, it's pretty close to the Roscoe. Which means that it is a low-monster and really brings out the thump. The parallel/series switch is a nice option and I found myself using the series position most of the time, preferring to switch to parallel for slap. Parallel position really thins things out. The 3-way mid toggle is also useful when soloing the bridge p/u and boosting mids to to get that nice Jaco burp. The bass is also quite light, extremely balanced and plays like a dream; slim, fast neck and comfortable body contours.

I prefer the Hanewinckel Artist Fusion (the blue one) due to its mid-range "life." This Solaris is a tonally different beast. Going in, I expected some similarity since Pete hand-built both instruments. Simply not the case. They couldn't sound much different, actually.

FWIW, my 7 string "picking order" right now would be:

1. Hanewinckel Artist Fusion
    2. Elrick Gold Standard
    3. Conklin Sidewinder
    4. Hanewinckel Artist Solaris
    5. Roscoe SKB

The Solaris beats the Roscoe due to a faster neck but they both sport the Bart 18v pre and, as stated above, except for the upper register, sound VERY similar.

Now, as I look back on what I've written, I realize that all this may make it look like I'm disappointed with this new bass. Really not the case. True, I've not quite found the sweet spot with strings and setup yet. But I've only had it a couple of weeks. And the fact that it doesn't usurp my other Hanewinckel doesn't bother me at all. That blue one is the best bass I've ever touched, let alone owned! I also get the feeling that the longer I live with this bass, the more I'll grow to like it and appreciate all the things it does well. Even if it doesn't end up being my Number One, I'm not hurting for good instruments right now! :D

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    So does that mean I can have it? ;)
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Absolutely. Just drive to Southern California and ask around. I'm sure you'll be able to find me. And I'm sure I'll give you the bass. ;)
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I find the sonic differences between that and the other Hanewinckel pretty interesting!

Aother beauty.

You're gonna have to sell one at some point! :D
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i think we all know where the conklin will end up when he's done with it :D.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, me too. I've discussed it with Pete and he feels that the wenge board as opposed to the maple on the other one is a big factor, as well as the 9v preamp vs. the 18v on the new one.

As to selling, anything's possible but I don't see letting anything go in the near future! :D
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Man I dunno, that Conklin is creeping up in the standings! But if it ever leaves, you got first dibs, dood! ;)
  9. I have 5 Hanewinckels now and no two of them sound very much alike. They all have different wood configurations and the new one, of course, is all piezo with the nylon core strings.

The woods really have a lot more to do with the sound than one might expect. It would be interesting to put a transducer on different types of wood and measure what the frequency response is. It might be possible to design a sound by combining different woods without using educated guesses to decide what kinds of woods might sound good together.

Another thing I found that makes a huge impact on the sound is the action. The lower the action, the more the strings will impact onto the fretboard when plucked and the exact action will determine where they hit. That totally changes the tonal character of the string.

- Dave
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've also found that to be very true, Dave. The action on my two Hanewinckels, however, is pretty much the same, with the exact same strings. So I've ruled that out as much of a factor in the differences between these two instruments.