Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hanewinckel 7 Follow-up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Apr 19, 2003.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    [​IMG]

Having now had the opportunity to play another gig with the pictured Hanewinckel Artist Solaris 7, I've made a few discoveries. I like the bass much better with GHS Progressive strings (had Smith Steels on earlier). Less zing, more meat and a more balanced sound. Also, the bass seems to really sound its best with everything set flat, and that's the sign of a good bass!

Ran through an SVP Pro into a QSC 1602 driving an Epifani T-310 (older, heavier model, higher wattage). The bass was extremely punchy (which was an early concern as it seemed almost compressed in the mids) but the bottom was tight and extended with a GREAT top-end. In fact, the top-end now reminds of my Modulus and Zon sixers. And that's my favorite upper register "snap" reference points.

So this bass moves up the boogie-7-meter. It still hasn't claimed the top spot, that remains with the Hanewinckel Artist Fusion. But it's leapfrogged above everything else. Two Hane's at the top of my list. Man, Pete is doing something right!
    :D

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very cool. The bass is really beautiful, too!!!!

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, man.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, SMASH! Sorry I didn't dig up the old one but it was pretty long, anyway. You make a good point. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Cool stuff - you guys with the fancy 6-7 string hanewinckels are making me jealous. :p My favorite strings on my hanewinckel have been DR Sunbeams with DR lo-rider nickels in 2nd.

For my hanewinckel, i've noticed that it sounds INCONCEIVABLY tight, punchy, warm, and clear through my AI Contra set flat on a hardwood floor.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Cool, glad you're liking that one.

Funny how the mind works. For a few months I've been debating another fretted Hanewinckel, just 'cause they're so darned nice (hence the debate, I had no real reason! ;) ). So then here I stumble across a great deal on a pre-Gibson Tobias Signature. It's a great bass, but now all I can think about is a wenge-necked Hanewinckel in my future!

I also think it's funny how often we (or I, at least) forget about how big a part strings play in the sound and feel of an instrument. A massive part, if you ask me. It's a bit of a conundrum - to start with, you should probably use the same strings whenever comparing two basses. But, some strings work better on an instrument than others. . . anyway . .

I'm jealous! :D

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I absolutely agree. It's weird how basses seem to "like" different strings. It's always pretty obvious to me when I find the right strings for a bass; everything is just way better!

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Had a particularly revealing experience with this bass last night I thought I'd share. I played it for 4 sets on a regular gig through my EA iamp600 into Bergantino HT112. I recently added a heavy duty amp stand to this rig so I can raise and tilt back the cab. Makes a huge difference--no boominess at all and a significant increase in clarity. But the real gain is the fact that I can just plain hear it better.

Anyway, I really got to hear this bass well for the first time. The parallel setting (up) on the toggle switch really thins out the tone but gives you a sweet upper register that works great for jazz (we played two sets of jazz and two of everything else last night). You can also flip the switch down to the fatter series setting for soloing, nice option. I had the mids boosted slightly with the center frequency selected and a slight boost on treble with bass set totally flat. Man! Punchy, articulate, open on top and solid as a rock on bottom!

This will sound like total hyperbole (and how many times have I made this statement before?) but I can't imagine a better sound for my style/technique than what I was getting with this bass last night. Maybe I'm just getting used to the bass and really starting to appreciate it fully. In any case, it's making me think seriously about "thinning the herd." And that usually means it's getting the job done.

I plan to use my other Hanewinckel 7 tonight (Artist Fusion) for a slightly more raucous, less jazz-oriented gig but I think I'll use the same rig. Comparisons should be interesting. We'll see if the blue one retains the top spot in The Boogiebass Pantheon! :D

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Here's the bass in question, btw:

[​IMG]

10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    hmm.

i bet she'd sound great through a Bergantino HT212.

no?

;)

f

11. Glad to hear that bass is working out for you, boogie! I'd love to have a nice Hanewinckel 7 like that, but I just don't know that I'm cut out for anything more than 5 strings. The Conklin sounds amazing, but it absolutely kills my fretting hand.

I'm getting off topic, so let me just say that you've got an awesome stable, there! Maybe one day I'll find a nice Hanewinckel 5 or something. :D

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Oh mercy. Man. I want that cab, Fred!!!

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sevens are not for everyone, that's for sure. John Turner would most likely take that Conklin for what you have in it. Food for thought...

Pete makes a great 5, Dave. Give him a call and he'll make one for you!

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hey Carl!
    Not to hijack the thread but have you played the Fodera out yet? I'd like to know what you think.

15. I'd rather not give up the 7, but that may very well be the wise thing to do. I don't think I've got enough cash for a Hanie 5, so I'll either have to pass on that or find one used someday.

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Not yet, Jared. I'm very picky about setup and the Monarch needs to have its fingerboard leveled due to some very minor buzzing. My pal Pete Hanewinckel will give it the full treatment next weekend including his custom setup and re-stringing. As soon as it is perfectly to my liking, I'll take it out and file a full report! That could be as early as the 21st since I have two gigs that day.

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    It's a dead heat, ladies and gentlemen! This one is now tied for the top spot with the Solaris:

[​IMG]

I played it through the same rig as the night before and, although the Artist Fusion 7 has a more "cutting" midrange, it's an almost idiosyncratic sound when compared to the Artist Solaris 7--less overall range and the lack of the p/s switch makes it less versatile. The other point is (and this is a significant practical concern), the blue one has side dots that are very hard to see under low-light stage conditions, like last night. Still, the slap tone and unbelievable, vibrant upper register still keeps the Fusion tied for the top spot.

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Hanewinckel Artist Fusion 7. Solid maple body, maple board, etc.

19. Ho...ly...crap...:D

Pete Hanewinckel's creations never cease to amaze me. I really should work with him on my next bass (after my current order).

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Pretty fine basses, alright. Pete's a GREAT cat, too! :D