1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hanewinckel Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Jun 30, 2007.

1. hi de ho,

went to a bar where a guitar/bass duo were setting up.

the second the bass player "pulled it out", i yelled:

"A HANEWINCKEL!"

Pete Hanewinckel is a super nice guy. He book-matched some KOA i bought when i was in Hawai'i a while back.

anyway, the bass player had a bubinga Hanewinckel model, not sure which.

we talked about zon, lightwave, manring, blah blah...

then he offered his Hanewinckel for me to try.

i farted up the usual - "oh, i haven't played in a long time."; "I suck!"; etc ...

i strapped it on and in a flash - REMEMBERED what i love about Pete's work.

they play and sound like, well, dangit, it is unbelievable!

i've always known that Pete's basses play easily ... but, this one actually got me a gig.

seriously, i haven't played in a LOOOOONG while - but this bass made me feel completely at home.

in closing:

CHECK OUT A HANEWINCKEL!

i'm trying to sell my zons, lightwaves (not the rob allen) to get one,

check em out!

fred

2. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Ive allways wanted one. They look nice

3. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    His body styles are really nice. I've never seen one in person but if they look half as good as they do on his website they're already awesome.

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Forget what they look like, they sound fantastic and the playability is even better! When I had my Marchlewski 5 string built, I had Jake build the neck to be a 5 string version of the necks on my Hanewinckel 6 stringers.

So if they sound and play so great, why'd I get rid of the two I had? Well,.....

......still thinkin'......................

.......stiill thinkin'.....................

Oh! I remember. I suck at 6 string. Let's go with that. I'd snap up a nice fiver in a heartbeat, funds & spouse willing ;)

[​IMG]

Peace,

James

5. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Fred!

Those Hanewinckels are quite nice. Hope you're well. I sent you an email.

Marshall

6. nice to see the old crew still hangin'!!!

Marshall, sent you an e-mail.

not many used H's on the market.

sent Pete and e-mail last week, waiting.

f

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Agreed!!! Trying to keep my checkbook in the drawer.

Isn't this one of the pair that were built to the same specs, except one was neck-thru and the other bolt-on?

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played a few and always thought they were top notch! One thing that really stuck out, aside from the outstanding craftsmanship and butter-like playability, was the fact that his oil-finished basses have a finish so nice it's like glass!

9. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Must say that the first thing that drew me to these basses is the way the neck fits my hands...so, so comfortable!

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    They look beautiful! And there seems to be a lot of love for the neck shape!

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Recently had Pete build me this Signature 6. Macassar Ebony top, Gaboon Ebony fingerboard. Neck-thru, blue LED side markers, etc., etc.

Gig work is very slow right now but I'll post a review when I get a chance to earn some money with this instrument. Hopefully, soon.
    [​IMG]

12. fivestringer555

fivestringer555

Oct 26, 2003
    SC
    I have boogiebass's old Classic Vector 5(the poster bass on the Classic page) and I will never get rid of it. Best sounding, feeling bass I ever had. Thanks Pacman for the Vortex trade!

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Boogiebass, that might well be the most beautiful Hanewickel I've ever seen!

14. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Cool basses for sure.

15. That's for sure!

Now with Boogie back in the mix, it's definitely feeling like the old TB in here. :)

16. yah, nice.

7 years on and off with TB.

you'd think i could play by now!

:)

f

17. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX

Boogie,
    Absolutely stunning! I love how it looks. What is the body wood there? Looks like alder.

What are the electronics? With so many pickup and preamp options out there, I wonder how "married" to Bartolini Pete is.

I played a Hanewinckel in L.A. on a family visit once. It blew me away! I literally almost bought it - the only thing that stopped me from buying it right there was "the look" from my wife!:p

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The wings are mahogany with macassar ebony on top. The 9-piece neck is wenge/maple/bloodwood with a gaboon ebony fingerboard. The headstock laminate matches the wingtops, of course, as do the knobs and pickup covers. It also has lightweight, gold Hipshot hardware and flushmount Dunlop straplock pins. Pickups are hand-wound, custom Hanewinckel and the coils can be split with the third toggle. The preamp is an 18volt Bartolini.

How does it sound? Well, what do you think? ;) Awesome.

19. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Boogie B,

You are sooooooo trying to get me in trouble. Exquisite!

Peace,

James

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021