Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hanewinckel Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Obsdian, Oct 22, 2002.

1. For all the Hanewinckel bass owners out there: Can you tell me how they sound and feel? I've considering buying a Hanewinckel fretless 6 and want some inout first. Thanks!

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    geshel has 2 Hanewinckel 6 strings if I remember
    Dave Grossman has a 7 string Hanewinckel
    malthumb has a 6 string Hanewinckel

DM

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    portraitoftracy has a 4...er 5? Anyway, he has a Hanewinckel too.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sound will depend a lot on the construction and options you get - bolt on or neck-thru? neck woods? body woods? Pickups? These all being, IMO, the overwhelming factors in determining a bass's tone. Solid, quality craftsmanship will help put that extra 10% or so on there, but a Hanewinckel with an ash body and bolt-on wenge neck will sound quite different from one with a through-body maple neck, for instance.

As for feel, my favorites ever. Low action, thin (front-to-back) neck (though that's an option too). Well balanced, very comfortable. I strap the bass on fairly high up, and shift it over to the right a bit, so the 12th fret (edit: make that 14th fret) is about right at my body's centerline.

My fretless sounds great. It's a bolt-on, padauk neck and mahogany body. It almost plays itself (except for the intonation part :) ).

Sound clips:

http://home.attbi.com/~taylorsherman/hw6f_both.mp3
    http://home.attbi.com/~taylorsherman/hw6f_bridge.mp3
    http://home.attbi.com/~taylorsherman/hw6f_rmc.mp3

5. Thanks for the information and the sound clips Geshel. Do you have any pics of these basses?

My ideal setup would be the pro series with the fusion body style. The body core would be alder, with Bubinga bookmatched top. 7-pc neck-through with maple as the main wood. The fretboard would be ebony. It'd be a fretless 6 as mentioned before.

6. Geshel, also what scale length is your 6, and how tight is the B?

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Both are 34" scale. The B on the fretless is great, a little tighter than the one on my neck-through fretted (go figure). It's not as tight as the one on my 36" scale, graphite-necked Clover, but then, what is? :) I still like the Hanewinckel better by miles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Do you find that the controls allow a wide variety of tone shaping?

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Geshel, you're a soldier. Even though you've done it a million times before, you keep on the tradition of selling Hanewinckels to other TBers. Good for you, 'cause I think Haneys are the epitame of bass guitar as we know it.

:)

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Well, they're pretty standard - Bart NTMB 3 band EQ and all. I like the treble control on the fretted, on the fretless I'm more inclined to add a little bass (neck pickup) or midrange (piezos). I get the most variety though from the pickup selector knobs.

11. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    through my many deals, I had one pass through me....

Great ax. It was a stripped down 5. B was very tight, sound was real focused, sounded a lot like a roscoe that I had. Reason for ditching it was string spacing, but I've ditched many decent axes cause of that one issue. the work was awesome, and I agree that everything else about tone and all has to do with wood, electronics, and other details which can be worked with. If the workmanship is not there, its pointless. But its there, I'll vouch for it....

12. I just got this one:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

to add to my collection of 3 others, a 6-string fretted, a 7-string fretless and a 7-string fretted. Pics are available at:

http://www.unpronounceable.com/dave/gear.html

As far as playability goes, I haven't found anything I like better. I've tried many high-end basses and Hanewinckels just feel "right" to me. Since that is a subjective thing, I can't say they are the "best" feeling instruments but they are the best for me based on the range of instruments I've tried.

Sound-wise, as geshel said, it has to do with construction. Every one of my Hanewinckels has a distinctive sound. To be honest, I rarely even touch the dials. I think they sound best with everything flat and even. I do tweak my Eden WT-800 to shape the mids and boost the lows but I don't change it between instruments. Suffice it to say that they all sound great. Some better than others though. I prefer the sound I get from my neck-throughs. The two 6'ers. My fretless 7-string sounds incredible too. My fretted 7-string sounds great but not as good as the others. It's the least expensive of the four. I don't know if that has anything to do with it though.

Here are some audio clips of my 6-string fretted:

http://www.jsbach.net/bass/1007-prelude-071099.mp3
    http://www.jsbach.net/bass/1007-sarabande-070899.mp3
    http://www.jsbach.net/bass/1004-allemande-071499.mp3
    http://www.jsbach.net/bass/1004-courante-070899.mp3

- Dave

13. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Yep, a 4-stringer. I feel that i only need two more basses for my whole life and i'll be set after getting the hanewinckel. A fretless hanewinckel, and a DB.

My hanewinckel is the easiest playing bass i've ever played. It works well for me. Extremely low action, a pretty flat board (which works well with bartolinis, imo), etc.

I love the tone too. It is a very versatile bass. I just got back from a gig where i was playing it and i enjoy its tone more and more each day.

I'm pretty sure you can get Pete Hanewinckel to build you a bass to your specs, too.

I'm taking my hanewinckel to the grave.

14. I really like the Hanewinckels I've seen in pics, and the mp3s posted sound great! I don't suppose somebody here has played both a Hanewinckel and a Surine, have they?

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I have a 6 string fretted. It's the Artist series, neck through with the Ceres body style. Best gamble I've made in a long time. Bought it off Bassgear.com, site unseen. The seller told me it was the one shown on the Artist page at the website (pic has since been changed). This was a good move, since it got me to look through the site at the variety and quality of Hanewinckel's products. I bought it without ever seeing or playing one.

I love this bass!! Both Dave Grossman and Portraitoftracy remarked that theirs are easy to play. All I can say is "amen to that". It is the easiest playing of my three basses. Sounds great, too. My bass has an alder body with flame maple top. Maple neck with wenge stringers. The sound is fairly bright and punchy. It sounds great in active mode or passive mode. I'm more of an active bass kinda guy, so it spends more time in that mode.

Do not look for this bass on eBay or Bassgear.com. It's a keeper.

My next bass will more than likely be a Hanewinckel 5 fretless, unless I happen upon a steal on another high quality fretless.

Peace,

James

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Here's a picture of my Hanewinckel......

[​IMG]

Peace,

James

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dang...now I'm hankering for a Hanie...

18. Brendan, they have me hankering for a Hanie too.:oops: I love the versatility with the switch like on geshel's bass. Also, thanks to geshel for answering so many questions for me.

Dave Grossman, you have a PM.:)

19. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Dave,

Big thumbs up on those sound clips.

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Glad I could help. I'll have to post that wiring diagram tonight if I can remember so people know what we're talking about.