Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hanewinckel owners, please speak up.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SharkB8, Aug 22, 2002.

1. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Hello all.
    I have a few questions, esp. for the Hanewinckel owners out there. Let me give you some background and maybe you all can help me out with a my future purchase.

I currently play a 5 string Cirrus (maple/alder) that I am considering selling to pave the way for a new bass. I am also going to be selling a g**tar as well....anyway, I play mostly contemporary gospel and christian music as well as fusion stuff on the side. I am starting to get play time with Nationally known artists, and play at area churches in front of about 6k people per week. I have been a guitarist/keys/horns guy for about 20 years and bass is still fairly new (only about 2 years actively). Still, I have a very good handle on the bass (I don't play it like a g**tar) and my wife says I'm a born bass player (which would maybe explain why all the calls I am getting are leaning more to bass than guitar now). I have several custom guitars and understand the difference between a custom made instrument and a production line one. I understand the subtle differences that can amount into a world of difference in the type of sounds and things you can achieve. As I said before, I know a lot about g**tars, but have not had tons of experience with different bass manufacturers (the Cirrus is my 1st bass).

Also, being that finding a Hanie in stock somewhere is next to impossible, it makes it difficult to purchase without playing.

I am going to Bass Quake next month and wondering if anyone will be bringing their Hanie there, and wouldn't mind me checking it out.

Also, I hear a lot about MTD and have seen that a lot of players prefer them.

Sorry for such a long post....just very confused at this point about going down a road that may not make me any happier than I am now.....

Thanks everyone (in advance) for your time and responses.....

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You'll get the help you need. BTW, listen to your wife! She knows of what she speaks! ;)

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    So, how may I help you? :)

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    my hanie should be here next monday. Finding one used shouldn't be that hard. (i found one ;) ) and they seem to have pretty bad resale. If you do a search at harmony-central.com's classifieds you can find a few (i don't know if they are still available) bass-alone.com has a couple used ones as well. Maybe i can give a reveiw when i get it. :)

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

Oh yeah, what a "big spender" you are. :p Still sayin to myself that was pretty damn good deal you got there.

And geshel along with Dave Grossman are enormous loads of knowledge on Hanies.

6. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Ok...more specifically. How to Hanies compare with the other basses mentioned (esp MTD)?. Do Hanies work well in a large band situation (do they cut through)? Is the sound a modern hi-fi type of sound? Which options and wood should I look to for a sweet slap tone as well a modern punchy type of sound?

I have many more questions, but wanted to limit it to a few for now..

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There's some good knowledge here, just wondering if you've called Pete yet?

8. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Brad,
    I called Pete and discussed a few things with him. He sounded extremely busy at the time, so I really tried to keep it short and sweet. While I do appreciate his insight (esp. into the wood/options selections), he is the manufacturer and probably wouldn't readily point out shortcomings or basses that would ultimately be a better fit. That's my purpose for posting here, I'd like to hear from real world players who have maybe had their hands on many of the manufactures and chose Hanie for -x- reason.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I understand. I think it's still worthwhile to catch him when he's not busy and pick his brain. I didn't get the impression that he'd be anything less than forthright in his recommendations. I'd ask him if he's been able to get a particular sound, maybe even send him sound samples. I've had a bunch of conversations over the years with Mike Tobias and if you can describe it, he can usually nail it.

Since you're talking Contemporary Gospel, is there a particular player who has a sound similar to what you want? I know the Hanewinckels I've played have all had very good base sounds and were tweakable. He has a ton of body styles, myriad wood selections and top notch electronics packages... I'd be surprised if he couldn't build what you want... as long as you can communicate to him what that is.

I don't have a Hanie though I've always liked them. Check my profile for what I do have, lots of good alternatives (not that you need one) in there. Good luck.

BTW don't worry about long posts... the more info the better.

10. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Call or email Pete Hanewinckel. Check info posted by David Grossman and Geshel. They are both waaay knowledgeable about Hanewinckels.

I have owned a 6 string maple / alder Ceres Artist for a bit over a year now. It's a keeper. I was lusting after a Peavey Cirrus 5 or 6 string and bought my Hanewinckel off of Bass Gear without ever having seen one, let alone play one. I no longer lust for a Cirrus. I still like 'em and think they're one of the best values going, but I wouldn't trade my Hanewinckel for one.

It is very easy to play with nice low action. I'd say it's better for slapping than finger funk, but no slouch at that either. It's pretty much 2nd on my playlist. First being the 5 string Alembic in my avatar and third being a 4 string Alembic.

The only thing that took some getting used to, tone wise, is that I find it to be more even sounding up and down the neck than across strings. More so playing plectrum than thumping. If I play with a lighter attack than I play on my 5 string I can get it to sound more even across strings. That leads me to believe that the combination of string gauge and attack may be factors in this. My Alembic has a 0.128 B, my Hanewinckel has a 0.125 B.

Good luck in your choice. You should check out Geshel's link to getting his custom built.

Peace,

James

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I really haven't played many basses in the same class has Hanewinckel (and I've only played the two that I own, of his), so I can't comment much on how they compare. What I do know is:

- very low action, perfect frets (and fretboard on the fretless - the G and C strings almost touch the fretboard at the nut, playing first fret is soooo nice, mwah everywhere)

- hand-built attention to detail, very solidly constructed

- Very custom - Pete will work with you towards getting just what you want.

- The sound comes from good woods and premium electronics, coupled with solid construction and a nice brass bridge. So, whatever the end result (given woods and pickups), it's going to be solid.

He is pretty busy these days, so I've mostly worked things out on email when he can get back to me when he has the time. Then, we've talked on the phone when things were more or less finalized to make sure everything was clear.

Given the variety of woods available, NT or BO construction, pickups and locations, Hanewinckels in general cover a pretty wide spectrum, I think. For instance, I'd imagine an ash body with a wenge or maple bolt-on neck would have a good tight slap tone like you're thinking (it would after all be very similar to the most popular MTD design). Whereas my fretted has a bubinga neck-through and padauk body, and has a good deal of low-midrange (still can get a great slap tone on it though).

Overall, I've been very pleased. And I want more! :D

12. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    As far as artist go with "that" sound I'm looking for...

Tom Kennedy (Dave Weckl Band)
    Stanley Clarke (esp. with Animal Logic)
    Chris Kent (Larry Carlton/Steve Lukather Live in Osaka)

There are many others...I wan't to keep the list to more secular known artists....

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    People here know Fred Hammond, Maurice Fitzgerald, etc. too;)

Getting Tom Kennedy's (w/Weckl) and Stanley's tone out of the same bass is possible IMO. Give Pete a try... if it doesn't work I have another suggestion.

14. My first experience with a Hanewinckel was in 1998. I found his web site at www.harmony-central.com 's What's New page and noticed that he was local ( when I used to live in Long Beach ). I called him and arranged to meet him and check out some of his instruments. I was very impressed by both the quality and playability of his instruments. I was able to play his 6-string ( now *my* 6-string ) really easily and it felt like I had played it for years. He let me borrow it in 1999 and I recorded some Bach movements on it ( http://www.jsbach.net/bass/ ).

I ordered my 7-string fretted in late 2000 ( after I got a better job and could afford it ) and it played so easily that I sold my 6-string Warwick Corvette since there wasn't anything I could play on it that I couldn't play on my 7-string. A year later, I ordered a 7-string fretless. Then, at some point, Pete offered me the 6-string that I had borrowed for the Bach stuff. I really like the feel of neck-throughs. I didn't get a neck-through for my first 7-string because I was trying to save some money. For the 7-string fretless, I think it was Pete's recommendation to get a bolt-on in order to get the sound that I was after. The cost wasn't an issue.

Lately, I've been playing the 6-string when I jam with other people. Since I don't often have to play on the high F string, the 6-string is a little better for those situations. My 6-string sounds better than my 7-string fretted. Not better than my 6-string fretless though. They're both on par but also very different.

Now, I'm buying Pete's old 6-string fretless neck-through. Then, probably early next year, I'm going to have a custom 9-string built. It will be for tapping and bass playing. I'll have really light gauge strings on it and low action and possibly a flat fretboard. It's kind-of inspired by this Alembic:

http://www.alembic.com/info/fc_trip.html

except I'm going to have narrower string spacing so it won't be much wider than my 7-string.

I've played basses ( at NAMM over the years and at various guitar stores ) by many high-end bass luthiers. Alembics, Ken Smiths, Elricks, Linc Luthier, Warrior, Bebensse, Sukop, Tobias (MTD) and probably a few others that I can't think of off-hand. In terms of quality, they're all great. They're also all very different. They all play differently and feel differently. What I like about Hanewinckels is the feel of the neck and body. It feels very natural to play. I also like the body shapes and contours. Of course, there's also the sound. Almost every time I've taken my 6-string out to jam, someone has told me that it was the best sounding bass they've ever heard.

So, anyway, I highly recommend these instruments but you really should try one for yourself sometime. I know that's easier said than done though. I live in the Bay Area so if you're going to be in the area for Bass Quake, perhaps you can stop by and check them out.

- Dave

15. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Everyone,
    Thanks for the info, it's a great help.

Brad,
    Since people around here know Fred Hammond....the bass from the songs are exactly the range and style of tones I am looking for:

WOW Gospel 2001 CD- "I want my destiny"
    "Glory to Glory to Glory" (can't remember CD)
    "Dance like David"
    Purpose By Design CD -"I Press"

Great tones...

Dave,
    Thanks so much for the offer. I am planning a trip to the Bay Area for Bass Quake as well as a trip to Gelb Music (my 1st time there) to try out some MTD's and Zons.... I'd love the opportunity to try a Hanie out as well......

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Fred sounds great with his Smith, I've heard Maurice sound killer on a Cirrus, among other things. Sounds like you want a really authoritative slap sound, with lots of body and dynamics. Lots of choices for that and Hanies are among them.

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    "I Want My Destiny" is on the same Purpose By Design CD as "I Press". Both have Fred Hammond on bass. I think he usually records with a Ken Smith. The two I've seen him with are quilted maple BSR-EG. One's a 5 string, one's a 6 string. There's a video of the Purpose By Design CD, shot at Caesar's Palace in Vegas. Maurice Fitzgerald is the bassist in that video and uses a Peavey Cirrus 5 and has an Elrick 6 string in the background that never gets used in the video. Fred opens up this video with a two minute bass solo on his Ken Smith 6 string. Other than that, it's all Maurice in the video.

"Glory to Glory to Glory" has a studio version on The Inner Court CD with Fred on bass and a live version on pages of life 2 CD set with Terrance Palmer on bass. I have the video of the concert where pages of life was recorded. Terrance Palmer uses a Tobias on that recording.

The song you refer to as "Dance Like David" is actually called "When The Spirit of The Lord". The studio version is on the Spirit of David CD. A live version is on pages of life.

If you are as much of a "Fred-head" as I am, you should try to get those two videos. They are very well done.

Peace,

James

18. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Sharkb8,

I usually use my Hanewinckel 6 string when I play "I Want My Destiny". The parts where he does the Eb - Gb octaves and ends on B sound really nice when you pop the Eb and Gb off the C string.

BTW - Cool screen name.

Peace,

James

[​IMG]

19. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    James,
    Thanks for all the info. Beautiful bass BTW. Most of the Fred stuff, I've put on compilation CD's and I always forget to write down which cd's the tracks come from, but, I am truly a "Fred-Head". Thanks for all info on the videos, I'll try to find them.

Brad,
    So, what are your other suggestions (in addition to Hanie's)? I wan't to make sure I try all options out before making a decision.

Thanks!!

20. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Mine came today and I’m completely thrilled. I haven't taken it off in 4 hours :D. I only have one complaint. The blend pot rubs against to wood, so I’ll have to raise it, if I can. It plays butter. The neck was as strait as an arrow after being shipping from South Carolina (all the way to Seattle.) The action is incredibly low with no buzz. Harmonics chime for days. It has every tone I ever want with a fretted bass and then some more. It is also built rock solid. Even if I were to get one made, I think it would definitely be worth it. (a fretless? :D )
    Sorry I don't have digital camera or the proper software/hardware for sound clips, but I guess you'll have to bite the bullet.

Is there anyway to figure out the year it was made by the serial number? (which is 1287, btw)