Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hanewinckel-palooza

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Oct 4, 2003.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I don't get to play much outside of my church and my basement, and when I do my Alembic 5 string tends to carry the day. But since I'd just picked up my Hanewinckel 6 string fretless from the UPS counter, I figured I'd make the gig that evening an all Hanewinckel 6 string event and leave the Alembics at home.

This wasn't so much "my gig". I got to stand in with the band for a few songs at a birthday party.

First, here's the basses. The one on the left is the new fretless. The inset picture is the back of the fretless.

[​IMG]

James

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Here's a couple pictures from the party. I was playing through the band's bassists's rig.....

[​IMG]

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The sax player used to record & tour with Wild Cherry, Main Ingredient, and the O'Jays.

The bassist is new to the group and plays at one of the larger churches in the area. He was awesome. He had two basses with him, both custom made by the same local luthier. Jazz bass types, one fretted 5, one fretless 5. Both with Alembic Fat Boy pickups. The butterscotch fretted bass he was playing looked a lot like Nino's (?) butterscotch Sadowsky, but the neck pickup was slanted at about a 45 degree angle.

[​IMG]

4. Great bass!!! Looking slick on the stage with it too.

Geoff

5. Beautiful basses, I really like the idea of matching fretted/fretless. Congrats!

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sweet, man! I often take two of Pete's basses to gigs, a fretted 7 and my fretless 6. Awfully hard to beat. Congrats again on picking up that sixer at such a righteous auction price. :cool:

7. Mal,
    Those look awesome! Incredible that you got 2 basses with so much of their construction in common!

I used to have 2 Zon basses and it really helped having the "same" neck feel on both. Made the jump from one to the other painless. Are your necks similar in feel? Other than the fretted/fretless difference, how do the 2 sound the same...or different?

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Neck feel is EXACTLY the same. That came in handy on the dark stage. Not only did I play the fretless on the very day I got it, with NO setup, but it was the first of the two that I played that night. I only played it for one song (Stevie Wonder - Knocks Me Off My Feet). The stage was dark (Alembic LEDs would've been very useful) but because I'm used to the feel and positioning of the fretted Hanewinckel, staying in tune was easier.

As for difference in sound / tone.....I still have some exploration to do there. I didn't play through my rig, and haven't a/b ed them other than Friday night on stage, so it's hard to say. Lots of "mwah", I can say that. This one's a keeper.

Peace,

James

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    What's even more incredible is that I wasn't out looking for either of them, and got them roughly two years apart.

Peace,

James