Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hanewinckel, Post-Gig Impressions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Feb 1, 2003.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    First of all, it needs to be understood that my comments are purely subjective and indicative of my preferences, tastes, playing style, needs, etc. Just because I like or dislike something doesn't mean that anyone else will necessarily find it so...or not. This should be understood but sometimes needs to be re-stated, I think. Anyway...

I played the recently acquired Hanewinckel Artist Fustion 7 on a gig last night. Small room, private club, my regular classic rock trio, THE LOST PATROL.

BOTTOM LINE: On balance, it's my favorite of all the basses I've owned to date. I currently own a Ken Smith BSR6 GN, Modulus Quantum 6, Roscoe SKB3006 w/LED's, Roscoe SKB3006 fretless and three other sevens: Roscoe SKB3007, Conklin Groove Tools 7 and an Elrick Gold Standard 7 (brand new to me, see other thread).

PLAYABILITY: The action is achievable at a pretty amazing low level. This thing almost plays itself! Especially with the Ken Smith Custom Balance Taper Core strings I use, the strings are almost laying on the neck but no buzz and, well, just about perfect. The neck and string spacing (very close) are just perfect, too. What a fast neck! I solo quite a bit in my trio and also play upper register chords on the higher strings to support the guitarist. This one is the neck I've been looking for on a 7. The body contours and size are also perfect for me and my size frame (I'm about the size of Big Foot). And the weight is medium-light, which I like.

TONE: Extremely balanced with a B string that is, quite amazingly, as fat as the Rosoce! And that's the Roscoe's forte...and it's a 35". Mindblowing, really. I especially enjoyed the option of selecting a fixed mid frequency to cut or boost rather than a sweepable pot. I found my best sound with the toggle in the "up" position and a moderate boost. I ran through an EA iamp600 last night into the mighty Bergantino HT112 (small room) and found my best sound by boosting all three frequencies at different amounts. Slap tone was detailed but VERY smooth. Sweet, very sweet.

COMPARISON TO MY OTHER SEVENS:

Hanewinckel/Roscoe--Hane is lighter with a much better top-end and a better neck. Roscoe's rule on the low-end but the Hane is really about dead-even in that regard. Overall, no contest. HANEWINCKEL

Hanewinckel/Elrick--The Elrick is quite a bit lighter overall but can't compete on just about any other level except on appearance (the one I have is a gorgeous burl). Hane sounds WAY better and playability is so much better as to not even be in the ballpark. Elrick uses a zero fret so you can never quite get the action that low, no matter what the relief in the neck. It should be noted that I have yet to gig with the Elrick as it has some pending setup issues (i.e., protruding fret ends that must be dressed, etc.) due to the temperatures differences between Chicago and Southern Cali. HANEWINCKEL

Hanewinckel/Conklin--Not a fair comparison. The Conklin is my "beater" and, compared to the other sevens, quite a log, really. It has a Mighty Mite preamp that I really dislike and is fairly heavy. But it's well-made for the money and plays quite nicely. HANEWINCKEL

In summary, I found the Hanewinckel to be an absolutely great instrument in every regard. The one I had the good fortune to snag enhances my playing to a significant degree.

BTW, I've talked at length with Pete and he's an extremely personable, helpful guy. He's a one-man operation, too. He makes these instruments by hand and from scratch in a shop in his garage.

[​IMG]

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, man. If the 4's are anything like this 7, they should be killer!

3. Great review! Thanks for posting it. It is the enthusiasm for Pete's instruments that keeps him in business. He doesn't advertise. The only thing that comes close to advertising for him are the ad banners that I put up at my guitar sites which I do for free because I dig his instruments so much. I do get good deals on instruments from him but it's more because we're friends and I buy so many. I have many ad banners I put up for friends for free.

I should be receiving the one discussed in this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73729

in about a week and a half. I'm really looking forward to getting it.

- Dave

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Then I suppose if the Hanewinckel Roscoe's the Roscoe, you could let me have that there miserable, poor imitation of a Haney...right? :D

Pete makes such beautiful instruments, I keep lookin for a used one that I could pick up...

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well...maybe I better hang on to the Roscoe, for the time being, anyway.;)

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Should be terrific, Dave. Let's hear all about it when you get it, eh?

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Thanks for this. It drives me nuts when we get "It's the best bass I've ever played," then no description of the other basses they've played. I always assume that their former best was an Ibanez SR 205.

Anyway, with your stable, that's quite an endorsement. Great review. Thanks again.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My pleasure. Thanks for the kind words.

9. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Boogiebass,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such an informative review.

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    You mean something that you could pick up for around $500? :p

[​IMG]

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You're welcome. Glad it was met with interest by a number of TB'ers.

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sounds like a great bargain!

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Wow, congrats! Man I go away for two weeks and everybody buys a Hanewinckel! :) Nice review. I'd managed to leave my GAS behind on my vacation, but now it's ramping back up again!

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks! Hanewinckels for everyone!!!:D