Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hanewinckel Pro 4 Custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Sep 1, 2005.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Just got this from Pete yesterday. Extraordinarily light. 6.0 lbs., in fact. :eek: The body style is a custom creation that is sort of a cross between a Ceres and an Arpeggio. Technically, Pete calls it "FW."

Specs:

* Maple/Walnut 7-piece bolt-on neck
    * Pau Ferro fingerboard
    * Ash body
    * Curly Maple, quilted top
    * Walnut mid lam
    * 22 frets
    * Bone nut, 1.5" wide
    * OBP-3 Aguilar preamp with sweepable mids (400 to 800)
    * Bartolini CBJ pickups
    * Hipshot bridge
    * Lightweight Gotoh tuners
    * Controls = Vol/Pan/Treble/Mid/Bass and Mid Sweep on top. Toggle is active/passive.

I'll gig it on Saturday night.

Killer top-end, very comfortable to play and a super fast neck. The usual gear review to follow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :help:

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    So - dare I ask, what's the total count now? Of Hanewinckels you own? :D

Nice bass! Though I don't think Pete's headstock shape looks very good on a 4-string, oh well.

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Actually that is what I was thinking about asking as well...

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Believe it or not, I don't really know how many Hanewinckels I own now! :eek: Somewhere around 15, I guess. :eek: :eek:

Disagree on the headstock comment.

6. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    +1

BTW, It's a beauty!

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    nice one Carl!

I had one like that which I picked up on ebay for a nice low price. The neck was very thin, too thin in fact for my tastes.
    I know Pete hadn't wanted to make one so thin, but did so at customer insistence.

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    :bassist: Love it.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Don't recall which one was on ebay but it wasn't this one. And I can assure you that Pete had no reservations about making this 1.5" neck. :rolleyes:

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thank you Wilbyman, unity bass, BSR6P-Bob and B8ssMan89! :D

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Oh yeah, it definitely wasn't this one, wasn't trying to say that. And I meant neck thickness rather than width.

It was this one, was someone elses from TB first.

Attached Files:

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Just weighed the bass on my digital bathroom scale and it reads 6 lbs. even...yeah, it's light! ;)

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Oh yeah, I remember that one. I exchanged emails with the original owner at one time; he wanted too much for it, as I recall. Glad to hear you picked it up for a good price on ebay. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Shazam! that's, wow, light.

You could glue two together to make a doubleneck and it'd be lighter than my first 6er. :D

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Pretty nice on the ol' sore left shoulder... ;)

16. Nice! Though, 4-string Hanewinckels always look a little funny to me. I don't think he makes many 4-strings. :D

- Dave

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    As you know, Dave, Pete pretty much builds what people want to buy. This particular bass was custom made for a bassist who ran out of money and never managed to pay it off. Pete, being the incredibly tolerant and kind gentleman that he is, held onto it for almost 3 years before he decided he could no longer justify the hit to his inventory and business. As it happened, he contacted the guy who commissioned it and told him he had a buyer (me) and I was very lucky to get it. It was made with the intention of being super light (obviously) but the Aguilar preamp is also a custom thing as Pete normally installs Barts. This is the third 4 of Pete's I own as I have the need for a 4 quite a lot in my gigging life. Believe me, his skills so evident on multi-string instruments are fully intact on his 4's! ;) BTW, I don't think Pete's 4's look funny at all!!! :spit: Not all that common, perhaps---but not funny. :p

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...damn. That's giving me all kinds of GAS. Don't see many of Pete's 4s floating around.

And, uh, are those list, or street prices on his website?

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Pete's site shows list prices. As you may have noticed, they haven't been updated in a while. I expect a price increase soon, in fact. It's probably no secret that Pete's basses are, if anything, under-priced considering what they are and what else is out there! ;)

20. I meant "funny-strange" not "funny-haha". :D

- Dave