Hanewinckel STEAL?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I have the oppurtunity to buy a like-new Hanewinckel Pro Fusion Neck-Thru 5 string. It has a swamp ash body with figured walnut top and back, 5-piece walnut/maple neck, birdseye maple fingerboard, 35 inch scale, Bartolini soaps and a Bart preamp too. Did I mention its only $1600? It looks really nice, and I'm sure it sounds nice, but I am just curious as to how good of a deal this is for a Hanewinckel as I have not really dealt with them at all in the past. I was thinking of ordering a new Carvin 5 stringer but this looks pretty nice, and is about the same price. So I was just looking for some advice on how Hanewinckels are (sound, playability,etc.) and even compare them to a Carvin if you are able to. THANKS so much, this may be a great chance for me to grab a great bass while I can.
  2. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Buy it. Carvins do not compare to Hanewinckels in the least. However, I've not played a Hanewinckel but I am aware of their reputation as being extremely well built and awesome sounding.
  3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    That IS a steal. Buy it. You won't be disappointed. Pete is a great guy that makes a great bass.

4. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Hanewinckels are under-rated and underpriced. I have two 6 string Hannies, one fretted, one fretless. What I paid for each is in line with what you are considering paying. If I didn't already have two Hannies and two other high end 5 strings, I'd have snapped that one up. If it's the one I think it is, I came REAL close to picking it up.

Take the plunge.

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> At that price the water would be just fine.

6. DLM

May 25, 2004
    You'll have to decide on whether the price is right for you, but I do attest to the high quality and craftsmanship that goes into these basses. I've owned one since Nov. 2004 and have found it to play like a dream having a wonderful neck with great action. The balance on these basses are terrific, as well, with no neck dive. Moreover, the low B string has great articulation.
  7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

He makes a fantastic bass. As long as it wasn't abused I am guessing it would be a great bass.
  8. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    DO NOT WAIT!! BUY IT! If for no other reason than to keep me from looking for it to buy it. I have a Hanewinckel Signature NT Five, and it is awesome. I own an older all koa Carvin neck-through five and, while the Carvin is a pretty decent bass, it does not compare to the Hanewinckel. The Hanewinckel is absolutely beautiful---a friend of mine refers to it as my work of art, plays wonderfully, and has tone to die for. It is very comfortable and well balanced. And I agree that Pete is a great guy to deal with; ordering a bass from him is an education in bass construction from the matching of woods for looks, tone, and balance, to pickup placement for the sound you like. I have played basses costing 2-3 times what I paid for my bass and have touched nothing I would consider over my Hanewinckel.
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If you're serious about owning a Hanewinckel, I'd actually recommend against this one. It's a very warm sounding bass and the top end is not exactly "alive." Pete has come a long way since he made this one, too (this is the older, skinny headstock with the decal rather than the inlay). This bass was commissioned otherwise, Pete doesn't really care for 35 neck-throughs at all but will, of course, build one if that's what the customer wants. I think you can would be better off to save a few dollars and talk to Pete about building you one in the future. Of course, the price is not bad on this one but it's been around the block a few times. Just realize you are NOT getting the state of the art Hanewinckel if you buy this bass! :eek:

Good luck with whatever you decide.

PS: Don't buy a Carvin if you're seriously contemplating a Hanewinckel! ;)