Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hanging Bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassPanther, Apr 11, 2002.

1. As I've said before I'm into metal and hard rock music. One day I want to get into a band and play live, but I know that I need to improve my "head-banging" but when I've tried it I end up losing my hand positioning and completely flub. I play with a pick which doesn't help (but I prefer the pick style so no coments please). Any suggestions to help me improve this?

And before you ask...No I don't play with my bass around my ankles or anything like that. It's usually about midway on my waist.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Improve your bass playing, forget the head banging. Don't worry about window dressing.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I thought headbanging died with the 90s... :D

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would have said the end of the 70s!! ;)

5. Good point

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Know your songs like the back of your hand. If you practice your material to the point where you could play it in your sleep, you'll notice you can do all sorts of things while playing - headbanging, jumping around, contortionism, calculus equations, neurosurgery ( :D ), etc etc.

7. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    hey... yea what thrash said.. also.. don't just up and headbang... start bobbing your head on simpler parts... kind of nodd to the beat on pauses and then work your way up.

8. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Does that make me a throwback from the 70's?

Damn:( ;)