Hanging basses on the wall...?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by szvonek, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Paige from Trading Spaces

12 vote(s)
  2. While You Were Out lady

5 vote(s)
  1. I just saw on Trading Spaces where they hung this guy's guitar and bass on the wall and thought that would be really cool. I missed how they did it though, and I'm not handy at all. Anyone know the best way to do it? Keep in mind I rent, so I can't tear up my wall too bad. Thanks...

Just for fun I'll throw a poll on here...Who's cuter, Paige from Trading Spaces or the woman on While You Were Out?? It's a toss up for me, but I think i gotta give it to the While You Were Out lady just cuz Paige is a little too perky and chirpy for my tastes...
  2. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I got this gutar hanger for $18.00 on ebay, it takes only 4 small screws;)
  3. What are your walls made of?

Wood? bricks?
  4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I use 5-slot slatwall with String Swing hangers. The hangers are backed by a lifetime warranty that they will not mar the finishes, as others have done to my Gibsons and Martins. Right now my slatwall is holding 13 guitars and basses, two skateboards, and a surfboard. Great stuff.
  5. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    that looks like sheetrock with the spray texture(knockdown)...just gotta find the studs to make sure it doesn't come out and then damage the guitars.
  6. luisnovelo, I'm not sure what's behind the drywall, I'm assuming there are wood studs somewhere back there though.

I was thinking of something where you couldn't really see what was holding up the guitars, and where you could hang them at different heights too, like those hooks they have at guitar stores maybe...? Would that work do you think?
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
  8. sweet! Thanks man, those look perfect...I'm on it...

btw, nice basses TBG...i want that Corvette...!
  9. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    thanks Phat Ham...I found those and ordered 3...gotta get these things off the floor!:D
  10. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Thanks, oh yeah, that's a Streamer Standar price $300 on ebay good deal huh;)
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I use String Swing hangers.

I currently have 9 basses and 1 guitar hanging.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    In my dorm room last year, my roomate and I hung up our guitars and basses by using some cheap substitue for those hangers, but they worked. It was so cool. So many people rolled by because we were these cool musician guys.

Plus we'd always have our epic hour hippie jams. That was fun, our jams were totally reflective of our mood. One time my roomate came home pissed and he was like "Lets jam" and we had a very agressive jam. It wasn't too metal... just agressive. It was cool.
  13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Glad to be of some help for once:D

Hanging basses/guitars clears up more floor space than you'd expect, plus it looks cool. Why put boring paintings or posters up when you can have a bass hanging?
  14. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I like the Sho-all look because of the extra "grip" at the ends of the hook(some how using ribs to describe it seems gross;) )
    truth is I'm tired of picking up my guitars/basses off the floor from an "accident" (my kids running them over during play) and hearing about how much space they take up. Besides, I need some decor!:D
  15. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i bought some gizmo from a dude on e-bay; not sure what they're called, but they are real cheap, foam covered on the "U", with a threaded section i drilled into the studs in the basement wall with. these would leave a big hole though, so may not be suited for a rental
  16. Like a big dog

Like a big dog

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas, USA
    I was wondering if there is any potential for damage to the neck if the bass is hanging from the wall. I have two basses hanging up in my room using those wall hangers, and I have always wondered if there is any chance that supporting all of the weight on the head is better than them leaning on a stand or laying down in a case.
  17. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i use these:

here's my wall of shame:

18. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    very nice!
    what brand is that hook? sweet display!
  19. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I made a bunch of hangers from the wood of an old piano that I "retired". I cut out squares of wood and drove thick wooden dowels into them. I then screwed them into the studs. I have 8 instruments hanging in my living room now. They are great decoration, as well as always being ready for action. They do collect dust, though....