Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hanging basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nikolai, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    I notice lots of people are using stands that hangs the bass from the neck (or wallmounts.) ive been talking to lots of bassists and guitarists about this, and if they are correct, this will mess up the bass' neck so you have to make changes to the setup all the time.. cause of the heavy body and long neck (lots of tension on it.) so im wondering _Your_ opinions on this.

i didnt dare buy one of those neck-hanging stands for my bass, cause i dont want to tune the setup all the time.

2. HmmZZ.

The Guitar Wallmounts..supports the bass round the bass of the headstock and shouldnt invert pressure on the necks direction ie, shouldnt twist the neck or alter the action as the wood it is resting on doesnt effect the action....

So i would doubt very much if they have much effect..

A lot of people have these in bedrooms and the like which do heat up and heat down acording to central heat etc etc..so0o even if the bass is on a stand it will still change..

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

All of my basses are hanging on the wall, except when they are getting played. I have not had any neck problems with any of them.

4. i was gonna start a topic on hanging basses on the wall, but for a different reason... i was wondering if those who hang have ever had problems with non players coming along and picking up your expensive basses and fooling with them without asking... i really like the look of a nice bass hanging on the wall but i cant shake the image of some drunk person at my apartment being stupid and messing my basses up by dropping them or something like that... has anyone had this problem?

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Boy, this post is old...er...older.

Never had this problem myself, but I was at the local sound shop (Counts Brothers) recently, trying out some of their basses, and these people came in. There were 2 little girls (10, maybe 11), some older guy (20-ish), and what I thought to be their parents. Now, from they way these people acted, one would assume that they had NO respect for musical instruments, yet alone musical instruments that others can play and buy. The instruments all hang from wall mounts, in two rows, one above the other. Well, one of the little girls picked up one of the basses and started playing with it like it was a toy, giving he best impression of a bassist -- you know, holding the guitar down low, etc. The older guy, picked one from the top row and started playing kind of hard... harder than any bass should be played. When he put it back up, he didn't put the headstock in the hooks all the way, and as he turned away, bumped the bass, and it came crashing down. Luckily, it wasn't one of the more expensive basses. It was a red 1980's MIJ Fender Jazz (very nice bass, by the way), but it IS a musical instrument, which should be treated with total care. I stood in near-horror as a sales rep came running over and picked it up. Luckily, it had major damage! Only a gash and chip in the finish, but the neck wasn't snapped in half or anything.

So, if you're getting the wall mounts, just make sure you put it on the mount all the way and you will have no problems at all.

6. Another advantage: We just had a heavy rainfall (thanks to Hurricane Frances) and some flooding in my basement. My basses were undamaged as they're all hanging safely on the wall.

I haven't noticed any problems by hanging my basses.

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I want to get those locking "Hercules" wall hangers that have those little arms that enclose when the bass weight hits it. I really like the way hanging basses look, & they would save a LOT of floor space in my room, yet I just can't get over having a mental image of the bass' butt hitting the wall. I picture an earthquake hitting and the bass slamming against the wall. I actually lived in Northridge when the 94' Northridge quake hit, so I'm pretty weary of earthquake-damaging scenarios. I think I'll just stick with the good-old hardcase under the bed method.

8. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY

If you go to AC Moore Crafts, or even Walmart's craft section, the sell these paper sheet size foam pads used in alot of crafts. The are about 8 1/2 x 11 and about 1/8 - 3/16 thick. If you were to attach one or two to the wall (double sided tape, glue, etc...), it can provide a buffer between the wall and the bass in case of a mishap, plus at only like 40 cents each, they are some cheap insurance.

9. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    my question is, how do you keep from getting marks on your basses from your stands? I don't know if it's my humidity here, but if I leave a bass on a stand for a few days without moving it, it will have some sort of dull spot from the foam on the stand. I even had it start to eat through finish on a cheaper acoustic guitar I had, I heard some of the foam has some sort of chemical that can do this. I did see this product:

http://www.axehugger.com/

Anyone ever try them? It's kinda expensive though, but I'd like to find something other than draping old tshirts over my stands.

10. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Yeah, I remember that one. We definitely felt it in Mission Viejo! I was 9 at the time. 4:30-ish in the morning... January 17, 1994 -- I remember my dad scooping me up from a dead sleep and sprinting downstairs, the chandellier in the entry way was swinging like CRAZY! Fun times.... Call me wierd, but as long as there is no death or damage, small quakes can be kind of fun. :smug:

11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto

I've kept six of my basses (all vintage 60's and early 70's) hanging from the wall on String Swing CC-01 hangers for the past three and a half years. Just link embellisher's quote above, I too have not had any neck problems with any of them!

I do maintain a humidity range between 40-60% year round in that room. And I always make sure that the bass is securely in the saddle of the hanger before releasing it.

TD

12. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    Hello, can you tell me, is the humidity creation devise you use very expensive? I think this is a very good idea, and I would like to have one of these, too.

13. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I use one of the String Swing wall hangers for my stingray5 whenever it is at home [admittedly-not much, i practice mostly at school so it comes home maybe 1 time a week]. Nothing had happened to it. I've hung my Fender Jazz [mim 4 string], Ashbory, and cheapie acoustic all from the same stand and haven't had negative results.

That's all

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Moving this one to Miscellaneous.

15. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Sounds like a good idea!

(Mmmm... the cinnamon rolls are done!)

16. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I use a common 'furry' neck sock that are often found in
    instrument retail displays.

Otherwise I wrap strips of plush velvet (Green, Red, Black, or Blue)
    around the rubber or foam contact points.
    Use a couple drops of white fabric glue to tack down the end.
    Problems solved.

Neck Sock and Green Velvet:

[​IMG]

I'm originally from North Hills (Sepulevda) and had the same concerns.

Just get a Quick-Lok GS410 -

[​IMG]

And wrap with Velvet Strips of course...

Example:

[​IMG]

17. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    WHAT UPPPP!!!! Yeah sorry I lied, I'm really from North Hills too but I was sure nobody would know where that was... good lookin' out with that quik-lok, That looks like the ticket. So why Illinois???

18. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I hate the Valley.
    Monroe High School toasted my brain.

19. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto

I let good old mother nature provide the humidity during the summer months and a high quality humidifier on my home furnace during the winter. I paid approximately $200.00 for the humidifier.

Actually, during the summer I have to use a de-humidifier to prevent the humidty from becoming excessive. I keep the humidity during the summer between 50-60% and 40-50% during the winter.

A good de-humidifier will cost approximately $250.00

PS - As you can see, I live in Canada.

TD
    :cool:

20. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Hmmm..... when it's really hot, or really cold, I just keep mine locked up in the case and placed in the closet (really dry in there, regardless of weather).