Hanging by the Rack Ears?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sutton, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I'm new to the Rack scene, and I recently purchases a 6 U Rack from Carvin, basically, I just need to know if I simply hang my head by the rack ears. I have a Kustom Groove head, and it is pretty heavy, I dont want to end up with a broken rack or something. Is there some rails or something that I should buy?
  2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's not a bad idea. Often they'll just run one strap - like a perforated steel band - from one rear-corner of the chassis to somewhere on the top or top-side of the rack box.

3. Both the rack and the rack gear are designed to hold the weight, but in extreme circumstances (like dropping the thing), it's possible that both the rails or rack ears could be tweaked. I rack both my Mesa 400+ (55 lbs) and my Carvin DCM 1500 (about 30 lbs), but I put them on the bottom of their respective racks and tape rubber feet under them as sort of a cushion. It doesn't really help if I put the rack upside down, but in it's normal orientation, it takes quite a bit of stress off the front rack rails.
  4. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    ok, I was just a bit concerned, thats all
  5. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    These days, rack units tend to be one or two "spaces" tall. Naturally, to get the "stuff" inside, this tends to make them deeper.

Many manufacturers, including us, will provide rear "ears" or another place to put rear support. If you gig a lot, its a good idea to use the supports.

You can't expect a single space unit that may be ten inches or more deep to be fully supported from the front rail. There is a lot of leverage on the screws and rack ears.

Yes, we should put units in appropriate rack packages, but these days "small is in". Anything over two spaces is "too big", and the market punishes it by not buying. There are single-space power amps as deep as 18", which is crazy...absolutely MUST have a support.

Use the back supports for things that are heavy, and/or deep relative to their height in "rack spaces".
  6. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    oh come on, this guy doesn't know what he's talking about! it's not like he works for some big amp company or something! ;) seriously, thanks for the info- it's something useful to all of us. one of the things i like best about talkbass is that there are people who do this stuff in the real world to help us weekend/bedroom warriors out... :bassist: