1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hanging up the Bass - For my kids

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ThatLowEnd, Nov 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ThatLowEnd

ThatLowEnd Dirt, Trucks, BBQ, Whiskey

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    Hey Guys,

I have been playing professionally for about 16 years. In July of 2015 my first child, daughter, was born. Since then it has been a challenge juggling the gigging life with the family life, but I have been managing. Now with the news of a second child coming in March, and the complications we are having with the new pregnancy, it's really hard to justify not being home at night.

I gave my cover band notice last night, they will be replacing me ASAP. I also gave notice to the original artist I have had the pleasure of playing some massive shows with. I am bummed but know that this is the right decision.

My plan moving forward is to buy a modestly priced piano to have around the house. That will be my musical outlet until my kids are grown and I can return to the stage.

Thanks for reading my little blurb about my life, I am selling all of my amazing bass gear and plan to still lurk here on the TB forum which has become like a second family.

Items for sale:
    Jule Amps M2500 - 1 Month Old
    Jule Monique Dove Cage - Like New
    Fearless F115 Seafoam Green and White. Mint
    Fearless F112 Seafoam Green and White. MINT

SWRnut, Jimmy4string, RyanJD and 20 others like this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Families take a toll on time, but that does not mean once things are worked out, you can't continue to play. I think you will find that the fact that your children see you playing and performing might encourage them to get involved with music.

I continued to play in bands during my son's years growing up, and that included time spent helping with homework,coaching baseball for him, helping around the house, and other things. :thumbsup:

3. Unless you need the money, I'd keep a bass, one of those cabs and an amp. I practiced at home, quietly (mixer & headphones) for years and still do. I don't believe you'll want to spend a ton of money in a few years if you get the playing itch, with possibly, a better situation at home and/or a band.

4. ThatLowEnd

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    Yea, I see your point. I also have a career that takes about 50-60 hours out of my week. Music has always been a lucrative hobby for me.

SilGarzaJr and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  5. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Have a talk with the missus. Work it out with her. Partnership and all that.

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Good luck. I balance my work and family with my music. My Daughter is 12 and I still see all her games and even help coach her basketball team. Its allot but with some work its balanced. Having small children takes allot and I'm sure your wife will appreciate you being there.

7. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I took about 2 years off when my twins were born, then got back into it with like minded "hobby" musicians. I regret selling some of my gear, but its all more or less been replaced. I'd say hold on to your stuff, designate a "daddy closet" to keep it in :) Then when they are around 2-3 you can play to them, and its amazing seeing the spark go from you to them. I think the only thing holding my now 7 year olds back is the lack of room for a drumset :)

8. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Family first, plenty of time when the kids are a bit older to get back in the game. And no matter how much you may miss the stage, it's better than missing your kids grow up.

Just start 'em early with instruments. Teaching is a wonderful way of making sure you really do know the subject material as well as you think, and kids ask some excellent questions, the answering of which may take research on your part, and you may learn some things, or at least get some new perspectives on things you've long taken for granted.

9. frnjplayer

frnjplayer

Feb 3, 2014
    Keep some of the gear. You will get to play again and when the time comes you are less likely to have spare cash laying around to bring your gear back up to it's current quality level. Voice of experience and all that.

jamro217, d-dave, RedHatter and 8 others like this.
  10. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Agreed. If you like that gear, keep it. That's all almost new - why take the hit?

jamro217 and BluesOnBass like this.
  11. ThatLowEnd

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    I make a great living, so taking the hit isn't as much of a challenge as storing the gear is. Even though it's fairly compact, I live in Southern CA where every sq/ft comes at a high premium and where houses are relatively small.

rufus.K likes this.
  12. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I regret the one bass I ever sold. Just sayin'. At least keep a bass in the house.

13. ThatLowEnd

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    I am going to keep one of the GnL 5's as well as my 1984 Peavey T40 Birth Year Bass. I definitely agree with you.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  14. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Step away from the classifieds !
    Having sold all my gear 3 times in my life I found you only get about 50% of what you paid and spend 150%,to rebuy gear of the same quality .
    Keep the bass gear cause trust me brother you will regret selling it!
    Music just doesn't fit right now , but it will and sooner than you think.
    Rock on
    Duke

15. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    As others have said, keep at least some of your bass gear! You can keep your toe in the water and at some point will be able to share with your kids.

You'll never regret being there for your family. That's what a good husband and father does.

16. ThatLowEnd

Apr 14, 2012
    Down In The Delta
    Has been/Never was
    Thanks Duke!

jamro217 likes this.
  17. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    For the hobbyist, life oftentimes makes it difficult to play. For me it was law school (minus the brief time where some of us put together a cover band and played two parties). I didn't play hardly a note for about 7 years. Eventually, I settled into my career and found myself hankering for a gig. I got into a band and things picked up to the point where I was yawning through my workday. Now again, five years later, I am looking to move and marry my girlfriend and have again hung it up. It is impossible to say what the future will bring, but I would suggest keeping a bass and amp around because I can just about guarantee that you will be glad you have it.

jamro217 and ThatLowEnd like this.
  18. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Keep your gear for the future.
    As a father of 6 please just keep it, I went through the same thing as you are going through.

19. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    I must encourage you to stay with the bass.

My father is a professional tubist, and has been playing tuba throughout four births. (Also with some financial situations).

If noise is a problem, you can play with earphones, or just reduce the volume of your amp. I started playing bass because my father also played bass, and your kids could do the same.

As for the band, you can leave it. I understand staying at home, it's very important.

Don't drop the bass (pun not intended). You shouldn't give it up.

Besides, bass is so much cooler than piano. :cool:

Best of luck.

Imaginary Pony and ThatLowEnd like this.
  20. Jeff Haislip

Jeff Haislip

Sep 2, 2009
    I was able to balance work, assisting in coaching softball for my girls, and playing in a hobby band. It can be done and it sounds like you have your priority list in check. One of my daughters and one of the guitar player's daughters have become great singers as both are now 24 years old. I still remember when they got up at a benefit show when they were around 12 and were our "back-up singers". I am also glad to see you are a G&L player!!!:bassist:

BluesOnBass and ThatLowEnd like this.