1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hans Englert bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ericsmith, Mar 22, 2009.

1. ericsmith

ericsmith

Dec 22, 2008
    Hello,

I bought an old German flatback bass, supposedly from the 1920's and my teacher told me there's a label on the top of the bass next to the bass bar that tells the maker and something.
    Haven't had a look yet myself but it should say the following Hans Englert, Erlbach (where it's made), and possibly the year it's made.

Has anyone got any info or knowledge about Hans Englert or Erlbach? Erlbach, from what I've heard, is close to Markneukirchen which is a big string instrument town, right?

Right, not really much precise information but if anyone can help it would be appreciated!

2. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    there is a musical-instruments-museum in markneukirchen, it has a web-forum where you can find this:
    http://www.museum-markneukirchen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=809

translation:

The markneukirchen adress register from 1932 said:
    Englert, Johannes; Klingenthaler Straße 27, Baßmacher
    = his address, Baßmacher= Bassmaker

The violinmaker-directory Lütgendorff writes:
    Englert, Johannes (Max), Erlbach / Taucha. Geb. 1.4.1887-gest.1975.(born 1.4.1887, died 1975) Lehre von 1901-03, (aprenticeship from 1901-1903) legte die Meisterprüfung ab (examination for the master's certificate) und arbeitete bis 1933 selbständig in Erlbach.(worked till 1933 in Erlbach) Von 1946-72 arbeitete er in Taucha.(worked 1946 -72 in Taucha in Erlbach)

3. ericsmith

ericsmith

Dec 22, 2008
    Thanks! Just found that too...

Any info on basses made by him? Haven't found anything other than that from google or anywhere.

4. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    ...well, the guy who asked in the markneukirchenforum sold his to someone in finland, maybe you can search the finnish bassforums...