1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

hao rustride review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Crabby, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Hey folks. Well I went into my local Long & Mcquade yesterday and was planning on buying a new Tech 21 XXL bass distortion after reading favorable reviews. Sitting next to it was a new HAO RustRide for about $75 more. Using my head I took the time to A/B the two.

Well its pretty much night and day. The XXL has that fizzy, bag of bees sound and although I didnt spend too much time with it, I was pretty sure it wasnt for me.

The RustRide is an entirely different animal. I have read so much about how it sucks out the lowend. Well it does but my god, what a beautiful creamy overdrive! The harmonics that shine through and the simplicity of the pedal kind of outweigh the loss of low end.

So I bought the thing and spent the last 2 days playing pretty much non stop trying to decide if I'm gonna keep it or bring it back and order the MXR Blowtorch. (which is not in stock yet) The RustRide sounds so good through my rig and with different basses. The fact that it only has an output level and a three way eq switch is so refreshing as I get real sick of tweaking knobs. It is true bypass and sucks no tone.

So after making up my mind that I must keep this pedal, I went to put a few strips of sticky velcro on the botoom and the knob fell off. Putting it back on revealed that the level pot is actually stripped and goes around in circles.

Bottom line is, this one is going back. I will wait for another new one to be ordered in but am still debating if the Blowtorch will be comparable in tone. It has way more features but that isn't always better.

Any thoughts on which one I should spring for would be appreciated.

Bruce

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    No one????

Oh well. just to update, I did more research and decided that the Rustride is not versatile enough and the quality issue is of concern. Today I puchased a Fulltone Bassdriver sight unseen. The reviews of the Fulltone are pretty much toting it as the holy grail of bass overdrives and I was able to get one brand new for the exact same price as the Rustride. ($200 Canadian) The Rustride is going back to the store and I will post a full review on the Fulltone when it comes later this week if anyone's interested.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Good luck with the Fulltone. They are pretty well loved around here. Sorry to hear about the Rust Ride, though. It seems to be one of those pedals that is "almost" cool, but is a little lacking. I have had good luck with a Tech 21 XXL. I have the old, silver guitar edition and when I run it into my SABDDI, I get goosebumps. This is the best bass distortion I have found. Definitely let us know how you like the Fulltone. Good luck.

4. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Will do. I wanted to to like the Rustride and I would have likely kept it if I had another overdrive for less heavy distortion. Fulltone looks like it will do both. My pedal board so far:

Radial Bigshot dual bypass looper
    EHX Mini Qtron
    Aphex Punch Factory
    MXR Phase 90
    Boss BF2
    Boss DD3
    MXR Micro Amp

Soon to arrive: Fulltone bassdriver

Gas: Bassballls

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Sweet. That chain should do the trick. I've had a few of those pedals. The Mini Q-Tron is awesome sounding, but I couldn't get past the volume jump. Do you run your compressor after it counter the spike?

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    bassballs = nice.

matter o' fact, i think i may go play with my balls right now!
    :eyebrow: :eek:

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Yes the compressor does a great job of taming the Qtron. I run the bass into the QTron which has true bypass, then into the punch factory which is always on, then into the od pedal (Fulltone will also be true bypass, then into the looper. In the loop I have the Phase90, flanger, delay and the Micro Amp at the end. I leave the Micro Amp on in the loop all the time and it totally "wakes up" the three pedals before it. The end result is when I engage the loop, there is no loss in volume or tone quality. Very cool pedal. Its a bit of a sleeper.

The Mini QTron is a steal at $95.00 Canadian. It sounds so good and being true bypass is great.

I still have a free loop in by looper pedal but have very little room left on the board. Hoping to squeeze one more pedal in there. I was planning on adding the Bassballs but may have to consider a DI type pedal so that I have a good line out to a house system.

I gotta say, I have always avoided bass effects and nenver thought I would be interested in them. I bought a Zoom B2 recently and after the novelty of goofing around wore off, I returned it. The digital noise that comes through on some patches was terrible. Nothing beats some old school analog effects! All it takes is taking some time to research the best order to run them in, decent cables and possibly the use of a looper pedal. Godlyke Powerall is also a seriously great tool.

Here I am hijacking my own thread to gush about all these other pedals. Sorry if I'm driving anyone crazy. I'm becomming a bit of a pedal junkie!

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Welcome to the world of effects hoarding! It's a long and lonesome road, but at least you get to play with some cool $h!t.

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    It is getting kind of addictive. I stopped in my local music shop tonight to return the Rustride and it was all I could do to not walk out of the store with something else!

Gas is a baaaaaaad thing!

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I've been through a lot of effects and I know I'll go through a lot more before I can stop. For me, half of the enjoyment is in trying out new pedals and combining them to see what I can come up with. The only problem is that it gets real expensive real quick.